Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Discovered mold on pipes

phnick
phnick Member Posts: 17
Hello, we had the ceiling soak through from a leaking ice maker line. It had probably been running for a few days, so it got really wet in the basement ceiling. I tore away the rotted drywall and discovered moldy pipes.

I was planning on cleaning off the pipes and replacing the drywall now that the ice maker line has been replaced. But should I keep digging in the ceiling for more mold? Need advice!

Thanks so much, Nick

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 15,429
    Probably. I would, anyway. No telling how far the moisture went. Any insulating material that got wet or even damp needs to go. Wipe any wood with bleach or a good mold eliminator product (careful with that stuff -- read ALL the safety instructions! Goggles. Gloves. Old clothes or tyvek coverall. Etc.)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • phnick
    phnick Member Posts: 17
    Thank you very much, Jamie!
    If I cut through and extra foot or so and don't notice any more mold can I call it OK?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 15,429
    Most likely.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England