Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Six Boiler Replacement Mistakes

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited July 2020 in THE MAIN WALL

Here are some common steam boiler oversights

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    only comment I'd make is that -- as usual! -- Ray's advice is excellent. But... in this case, not all of it is applicable to smaller residential units, so if you, dear reader, are a homeowner or DIYer, check further... the pros already know that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mferrer
    mferrer Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Great article! Valuable information that is well written in simple, easy to understand language.
    I am curious about the thermostatic trap life expectancy. Is 3 years for all elements? Or just the older bellows type? The stainless steel elements look stronger. And there are those therm traps without the liquid element (bimetal?) that appear to able to hold up longer.
    I wonder if anyone has life expectancy info on these different types of therm. traps other than what a manufacturer might claim.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    I have had to rebuild or replace many boilers that the installer did not follow the manufacturers instruction on piping. There is no need for chemicals in a steam heating system as there is 99% reused condensate. Paying $3500/year for chemicals when the boiler looses 1 to 2 gallons of water via blowdowns once a week, is just a plain waste of money. I had a number of boiler replacement by over use of chemicals.
    Jackmartin
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Good advise. The condensate return tank is so badly sized these days it is criminal. I attended at an apartment house here and once again no one knew anything about steam. This was an engineered job, licensed engineer and installed by the largest mechanical contractor in Winnipeg. The tank for a medium building was specified to be a cast iron tank duplex pumps capacity 600 US gallons. The boilers are two Weil Mclean 20 horse steam boilers. They could not get the tank in the basement so they obtained a permit from the city and excavated down to the boiler room wall broke a huge hole and installed the tank. The tank on the coldest day of the year 41 below, was filled to the six inch level measured from the bottom of the tank. I had to add makeup water to the tank so it would stop cavitating the pumps. They got a real bargain on the job ,each tenant of apartment house which is now condominiums , had 8000.00 added to their mortgages. The final price for this elegant installation 500,000 thousand dollars. This building is circa 1904 and for some reason the old heating system worked well and now they have problems up the wazo. I would suggest any one contemplating a boiler change check out other jobs the contractor has done in Winnipeg. Pay me now or pay me later.Stay Well and Be Blessed Jake