Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating Vent Cover

Options
bfroggie2
bfroggie2 Member Posts: 2
I am fixing up my living room and had the old vent cover removed and need to put a new one on. The house was built in 58 and the problem is the vent sticks out of the wall. I would like to make it flush. Is that possible? I don’t know why it was not built flush originally. Thank you

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Yes... it's possible. Is it easy? No. Problem is the sheet metal ducting to which the cover was attached also sticks out from the wall, if I read the first picture correctly, and that will have to be cut back flush with the wall, or at least parallel to the wall down from the upper edge. Also, make very sure that you don't restrict the opening at the bottom into the duct work.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    bfroggie2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Are you certain that hot air comes out of it?

From what I have seen these were the supply registers for gravity flow furnaces.....no blower. They needed the large opening to get the hot air moving. Usually the floor might have been cut open under the extension going out from the wall. 1958 would perhaps have been the last of gravity or this design. Just a carry over as forced air came alone.
    Sometimes there would be wall stack ducting inside the wall going up to the next floor. Some had damper to direct some air up the wall stack or into the room.

If people do not mind the looks and most do not, they are great for cold air returns being on the inside wall. Then cut floor registers on the outer perimeter of the house. This involves all new ducting of course.

If you close it up to a flush wall grill be aware that a smallish grill will give you more noise if it is a supply vent.
    bfroggie2
  • bfroggie2
    bfroggie2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the info very helpful I have 1 more question what is this vent in the floor for? It is in the living room by the stairway down to the basement. I am leaving it alone but curious to know it’s purpose. It 30”x12”.
    Thanks again for info!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    That looks like an in the floor return air grill.
    Is the bottom closed up across the floor joists?
    It may be connected via floor joists cavities to your furnace.
    They are great at collecting dirt and debris.

Or they may have just wanted some air venting from first floor to basement.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,669
    Options
    Are you sure this house was 1958? This looks more like 1930's.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited July 2020
    Options
    The collar looks telescoping. If you drill out the rivets and nails, you should be able to slide it back till the flanges meet the studs.
    You'll have to trim the bottom so as to not close off the feed duct.
    Then you can mount a VM type supply register.

But realistically, the whole thing isn't right. It's not even a duct. It's an opening in the wall. I bet the return "duct" is just flat metal panned to a couple ceiling joists in the basement. Forget about A/C. I'm sure the whole distribution system needs repair, replacement, insulation, air sealing. The Joy's of being a homeowner.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    That's not a 1958 job, maybe 1858
    mattmia2