Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

St. Louis Steam Professional

I am in the process of buying a house in the St. Louis area that has a 2 pipe steam system in need of some work. I am looking for a steam expert in the area and would very much appreciate any recommendations.
Thank you,
SPC

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,113
    You can reach out to any of the contractors that are listed here in Illinois that might be able to help or at least refer you to a good local company
    Creative Solutions Plumbing & Heating LLC
    Lic #12683
    Co-Owners: Fred Drescher, Jr & Eliezer "Ezzy" Travis
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 14,565
    Greg over at Crescent Parts in St Louis suggested these:

American does a lot of the big steam, commercial and process stuff, but also residential.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ted_p
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,426
    Two-pipe steam systems can be the Cadillac of heating systems, so don’t be tempted to do a hot water conversion, especially if it is a vacuum system!
    While you are arranging for a pro, take some pictures of the boiler, and piping, radiators and valves, (with any logos).
    Post them here for some early advice.—NBC
  • SPatrick52
    SPatrick52 Member Posts: 2
    EzzyT and hot_rod - Thank you for the referrals.

NBC- We are planning on keeping the steam system (but it does need some work). We should close on the house later this month and once we own it I will take some photos.

BTW - I found this site when looking at a different house and a contractor suggested pulling out the rads and putting in a new hot air / ac system. Reading the comments and watching the videos convinced us to stick with steam.
    ethicalpaul
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 335
    Congrats on the “new” old home purchase. I live 200mi north of you in SE Iowa. Bought a 1903 home with 1 pipe steam and It took a couple years, a lot of learning and research, but it’s purring now and worth it.