Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One pipe steam replacement radiator and part source

Options
Major7
Major7 Member Posts: 44
Looking for a radiator fitting a home built in 1930. I only have the valve coming up from the floor, and there seems to be know cap I can put on it. I looked at AF supply but couldn't find any of the fittings.

Are there any go-to sources for single pipe steam radiator parts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    Do you have the radiator? If not, there are several companies that make them -- at least one advertises on this website, but there are a number of others. You may also be able to find used ones in good shape -- ask a competent steam heat person.

As the the valve -- what part(s) of the valve do you still have? On most steam radiator valves -- if not all -- the outlet is half of a union, and the other half of the union is on the spud which threads into the radiator. If you only have the valve part, and not the radiator of spud part, you really should just get the whole valve and spud assembly and resign yourself to threading it onto the riser and into the radiator.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Major7
    Major7 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Here's the pics (hope the link works):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18KrJtNOVxiAt5alh14xT2xY2ei3zXOi5?usp=sharing

I don't have the old radiator any more. The contractor took it out and recycled it without my permission. That said, I want to replace it with a larger version that comes up to just under the window sill in height, and should be a bit longer than the old one. The paint behind gives a good outline.

The missing radiator is of same type as the one I took a picture of in my living room. I think I need:

Vent
    Opposite end plug
    Fitting to connect to my cutoff valve, which is seized open (thus the crazy c clamp stuff, which actually worked perfectly last winter).

Thanks!