Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Scully’s Plumbing wants YOU!

Options
2»

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    I think that I may join just so we don't have to see this thread anymore. LOL
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    As much as I like to laugh, I seriously need to hire. This is no joke. Our business is seeing amazing growth and we need more team members. I will remain diligent in my promise...which is to post every day. 
    Zman
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Day 7...as much effort as I’m putting into this, I put into keeping my employees happy. Just think about it!
    luketheplumber
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    Options
    @Danny Scully I might give you a call once I graduate.
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
    Danny Scully
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    You definitely should @luketheplumber. When are you graduating and where are you located? 
    luketheplumber
  • luketheplumber
    Options
    @Danny Scully I an in Durham NC and will be graduating in 2022.
    Do you only work on Plumbing & Steam heat or do you also work on hot water and air conditioning?
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    @luketheplumber, we work on plumbing and all forms of hydronic heating. We do not service air yet. 
    luketheplumber
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Day 8. I want to hear you! We have too many steam/hot water enthusiasts here for me to not have any responses.
    luketheplumber
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Day 9. Don’t you want to drive off in this today?! 
    Zmanluketheplumber
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Day 10. Nobody wants to ride off in their own fully stocked transit huh? 
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,290
    Options
    So, @Danny Scully , Is it about time to consider renting a plane that tows a big banner behind it, saying "Scully’s Plumbing wants YOU!". B)

Yours, Larry
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    It’s about time someone takes a chance at a better life @Larry Weingarten 😉
    luketheplumber
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    you want to open a field office in Fairfield,

Connecticut ?
    known to beat dead horses
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    You want to move to Long Island @neilc?
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    sorry Dan, I wuz teasin
    known to beat dead horses
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Me too 😉
  • luketheplumber
    Options
    I will probably get in trouble with a few guys on here for saying this but if it was 30 years ago I probably would get a G.E.D. and go work for @Danny Scully.
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Day 11...I don’t bite you know. 
    luketheplumber
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,290
    Options
    Hi @Danny Scully , Do you think it might be useful if you asked the Wallies who hire people what methods/tricks they have used to find good employees? B)
    Maybe they say "Mean boss, long hours, low pay, difficult working conditions." and that brings in the best and toughest employee prospects o:)

Yours, Larry
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • luketheplumber
    Options
    @Danny Scully expect a call from me by June of 2022!
    ZmanAlan (California Radiant) ForbesErin Holohan HaskellDanny Scully
  • PerryHolzman
    PerryHolzman Member Posts: 234
    Options
    This is a suggestion (I live in Wisconsin, am older, have severe cat and smoke allergies, and a bad back - although It would be technically interesting work; so I'm not interested).

I understand your desire to find employees who are interested in learning to become some of the best in their profession - which is why you are looking for people who follow "The Wall." I commend you for that.

I suggest that you run some adds in Craig s List in your region (be that 100, 300, or 500 miles out) saying that you are looking for employees who wish to really learn how Hot Water and Steam heat really works, who have the drive to follow the technical forums and instructional classes such as "The Wall" and various technical classes on these subjects, etc. etc. That your focus is in hiring high quality employees and that you take care of them.

Then don't actually do an in person interview with them unless they have actually checked out "The Wall" and can talk about what they have learned, etc. It's OK to mention in your add that you are only interested in people who have read "The Wall"; and then use that as a "Hard" screening tool when they contact you (if they haven't - drop them instantly).

I use a similar approach on some of my business screening and mentoring as I am only interested in working with people willing to learn. I let them pick a "personal or business development book of their interest (I offer them a wide selection of different topics); and give them a week or two to read it. Then only work with those who actually read it and can discuss it with me (only about 20%). I've learned the hard way that everyone else does not have the drive to succeed or change; and are a total waste of time and resources.

I wish you well with this,

Perry
    Larry WeingartenCLamb
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Thanks @PerryHolzman. I’m on Ziprecruiter as well but figured I’d have a bit more luck then I’m having here. Incredibly disappointing actually...day 12.