Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing steam vents

Options
I am getting my six radiators sandblasted and powder-coated this summer.
When I get them back I plan on replacing all the steam vents.

I was browsing the SupplyHouse.com page for Gortons. I prefer the flat shape of them.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Gorton

Are there specific vents I should get?
I suppose you're going to ask how big each radiator is.

Also, is powder-coating a bad idea?

Also, some of the vents' threads are stripped out and just barely hanging on in the hole.
Best way to fix this? Should I plug the bad hole and tap a new 1/8" hole? Or, drill the existing hole larger and use a reducing bushing?
Thank you!

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Pick up a 1/8" NPT tap to clean out the threads . Maybe clean them out first and install 1/8" plugs .. Talk to the powder coater and see what is the best way ....

The trick to balancing after you have proper size main vents is to size the radiator vent to the size of the radiator . You want to add enough resistance to the radiator to fill the mains first and then the radiators vents kick in .The idea is adust the vent size so all the radiators fill up at the same time. With Gortons the caps is the vent size .. Start with the lower end caps first . And increase if needed ... If you hear them vent you need larger . Best if you had extra caps in different sizes to fine tune .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Questions, is there enough iron to drill and tap to 1/4 npt? If you go this route I would do it prior to sandblasting and install the reducing bushing so it is powder coated to match. The only downside to powder coating is $$$. Judging by your screen name I assume you are in Chicago? Where are you planning on having the sandblasting done?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    If it were me I'd get some Maid O Mist 5L's, they come with 5 orifices so you can size them by changing said orifices. The Gortons are a great vent but playing the guessing game with them can get expensive. I've had the maid O Mist vents for almost 4 years and have not had to replace any of them.

This place has the best prices right now,
    https://www.eastcoasthardware.com/132292-maid-o-mist-maid-o-mist-18-steam-angle-radiator-valve-kit-0220-5l.html?utm_campaign=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49Dtjs7q6QIVjonICh3hWAWVEAQYAiABEgLuSvD_BwE

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    edited June 2020
    Options
    BobC said:

If it were me I'd get some Maid O Mist 5L's, they come with 5 orifices so you can size them by changing said orifices. The Gortons are a great vent but playing the guessing game with them can get expensive. I've had the maid O Mist vents for almost 4 years and have not had to replace any of them.

This place has the best prices right now,
    https://www.eastcoasthardware.com/132292-maid-o-mist-maid-o-mist-18-steam-angle-radiator-valve-kit-0220-5l.html?utm_campaign=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49Dtjs7q6QIVjonICh3hWAWVEAQYAiABEgLuSvD_BwE

Bob

This would be my advice too. But I would get them from Supplyhouse.com. They are so cheap you can just buy a few of each size and come out way ahead.

You can't properly size a vent from the size of the radiator. It's not the size of the radiator that matters, it's more related to how much pipe is between the boiler and that radiator, and how warm or cool that room tends to be compared to your other rooms.

And when you change one vent, it will have an effect on all the radiators in the house. So change one at a time and then see how it goes for a few cycles.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • 606Bungalow
    606Bungalow Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I will look into the Maid o Mist vents. Right now I'm going to focus on installing the plugs before I send them to the powder coater.

If I tap a larger hole to install a reducing bushing, do you all recommend a 1/4" hole or a 3/8" hole.

I'm going to purchase a tap and die set with 1/8, 3/8 and 1/4". I have made sure that the taps are NPT.

In looking for bushings I have found that brass ones are easier to come by than black iron. Supplyhouse.com shows them out of stock.
    Is brass ok to use on a steam system?
    I have also found stainless steel bushings.

The 1/8" plugs I am finding are stainless steel.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Striped out threads , there is a epoxy kit to replace threads . ... But to answer your question ,on the tap you want to use , on the tap it self are marked for the proper drill size to use ...

I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • 606Bungalow
    606Bungalow Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Sorry, I phrased my tapping size question wrong.

When creating a new hole should I size it for a 1/4" x 1/8" reducing bushing or for a 3/8" x 1/8" reducing bushing?
    Is there an advantage to one bushing over the other, or does it not matter?
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    > @ethicalpaul said:
    > (Quote)
    > This would be my advice too. But I would get them from Supplyhouse.com. They are so cheap you can just buy a few of each size and come out way ahead.
    >
    > You can't properly size a vent from the size of the radiator. It's not the size of the radiator that matters, it's more related to how much pipe is between the boiler and that radiator, and how warm or cool that room tends to be compared to your other rooms.
    >
    > And when you change one vent, it will have an effect on all the radiators in the house. So change one at a time and then see how it goes for a few cycles.

Would have to disagree. Air vent size is determined by how much air the air vent is venting. Assuming proper main air venting. The only factor is how much air is in the radiator (determined by radiator size, there is a chart for that in Greening Steam) and how much air is in the piping going from the main to that particular radiator. This is the baseline. There are potentially other factors. Wet steam can throw things out of wack. Unbalanced insulation.....
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    This is why I like the idea of replacing the orifice and not the vent, I don't know why Gorton never did this. When setting things up it's faster and cheaper.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options

> @ethicalpaul said:

> (Quote)

> This would be my advice too. But I would get them from Supplyhouse.com. They are so cheap you can just buy a few of each size and come out way ahead.

>

> You can't properly size a vent from the size of the radiator. It's not the size of the radiator that matters, it's more related to how much pipe is between the boiler and that radiator, and how warm or cool that room tends to be compared to your other rooms.

>

> And when you change one vent, it will have an effect on all the radiators in the house. So change one at a time and then see how it goes for a few cycles.

Would have to disagree. Air vent size is determined by how much air the air vent is venting. Assuming proper main air venting. The only factor is how much air is in the radiator (determined by radiator size, there is a chart for that in Greening Steam) and how much air is in the piping going from the main to that particular radiator. This is the baseline. There are potentially other factors. Wet steam can throw things out of wack. Unbalanced insulation.....

If the radiation is correctly sized for the room, and all the other radiators are too, then I could see where you're coming from. But there are too many variables to just rely on the size of the radiator and the piping going to it. It's a fine starting point but I don't think it's enough.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    BobC