Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problem with Taco Hot-LinkPlus-e® ECM High-Efficiency Instant Hot Water System

Options
I think I am having a problem with a recently installed re-circulation system.
This system, when first turned on, takes a week to learn my usage pattern. It does this by running the circulator for 5 minutes on in every every 15 minute interval. When the week is up, it then runs the circulator (same on 5 minutes every 15 minutes pattern) when it thinks I will be wanting hot water.

All very well, but sometimes (usually at least once a week), I get a momentary power flick and the SmartPlug controller starts all over again. How long is the SmartPlug supposed to run and remember its usage pattern during a power outage? These outages are usually a little over a second, and never 10 seconds (because my backup generator will pick up the load when that happens). Do I need to plug the SmartPlug into a UPS?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    If it's conventional memory -- very likely -- even a few microseconds will erase the memory. You would think they would have used flash memory, but... The only solution is a UPS.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Jean-David Beyer
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 235
    Options
    Morning Jean, unfortunately if you lose power it will revert back to the learning cycle for 7 days in the pulse mode. Any other questions please feel free to contact Taco Tech Support @ 401-942-8000 we are here Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm EST.
    Jean-David Beyer
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Maybe a USB on the power to that circ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Maybe a USB on the power to that circ?

The circulator is plugged into the SmartPlug where all the knowledge of my usage of hot water is stored. So it is the SmartPlug that needs the UPS. I would not care if the circulator lost power for 9 seconds, but the capacitor in the power supply inside the SmartPlug does not hold up for several seconds.

I do not need much of a UPS because my backup generator restores power by 10 seconds after brownout or power failure. The UPS needs enough to run that little circulator and the SmartPlug itself. Let's say for a whole minute. Maybe 100 watts altogether. I wonder where I can get one that small.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Options
    I ordered one of these, but now I will need to build a shelf for it. Furthermore, it is in my garage where my Mod-Con boiler and indirect hot water heater are. I hope the leaked heat is enough to protect the UPS.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-6-Outlets-425VA-120V/P-BE425M
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Options
    If it's conventional memory -- very likely -- even a few microseconds will erase the memory.

I think it will withstand a few microseconds of power failure. The power supply has, among other things, to rectify the AC power to DC for the circuitry, and after rectifying, they need to filter it with at least a capacitor. This will supply power for a cycle or two of line voltage loss.

Most small UPS devices take up to about 4 milliseconds to switch from power company to battery power.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Hello, A slightly different approach might be to keep a battery on a charger and from that use an inverter to power the pump and control. That way, the power cannot be interrupted, even for milliseconds.

Yours, Larry
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Options
    A slightly different approach might be to keep a battery on a charger and from that use an inverter to power the pump and control.

But, to reduce complexity, I could just get a much more expensive UPS that works essentially that way.