Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam boiler losing water

Options
alano9999
alano9999 Member Posts: 17
Hi
I am new to this site but I had seen older posts with this situation but I can't seem to resolve mine.
I am putting about 2 gallons of water in the boiler every 2 days. Otherwise the

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,395
    Options
    Somehow you're post got cut off -- but the little that did post is cause for a good deal of concern. 2 gallons per year might be very reasonable. 2 gallons every two days is going to kill you boiler rather quickly, if it hasn't already.

You have a significant leak somewhere. Look for steam coming out the chimney for starters when the boiler is running. Then check all the wet returns -- all the piping below the water line -- for leaks. Then turn the boiler off and let it sit. Mark the water level after half an hour, and then go down again after a couple of hours and check. The water level should not have gone down at all. If it has, there is a leak, and if it is not in a wet return, it's in the boiler itself below the water line.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,986
    Options
    @alano9999. In addition to what Jamie said. Shut boiler. Fill the boiler until water reaches top of glass plus another 90 seconds. Look and listen for water dripping. This is to check for leaks on the top portion of the boiler.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,577
    Options
    @alano9999

If your boiler is not leaking the most common cause of loosing water is a leaking wet return pipe (if you have one...some jobs don't). Look around your boiler and see if you have any pipes that go down into the floor. If you do look around the basement for another pipe going down into the floor which would be the other end of this pipe