Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mixing valve just before fixture

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
Does anyone make a mixing valve intended to be installed between the stops and a bathroom faucet?
What about faucets with built in mixing valves?

I run our HW near 140F and my wife hates it and I don't want to lower it. The kitchen sink, dishwasher etc like it among other reasons.

While we're talking bathroom faucets, what's a nice flow rate these days? 2.2 seemed to be the old one, but how bad are the 1.2's and 1.5s?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    A thermostatic mixing valve is installed on the HW Tank on the HW outlet. It mixes the outbound temp to 120 degrees to the fixtures. This is called for in the code. 140 is scalding and can cause serious burns. It's fine to keep the tank at 140...it minimizes legionella bacteria.
  • ChrisJ
    Options

A thermostatic mixing valve is installed on the HW Tank on the HW outlet. It mixes the outbound temp to 120 degrees to the fixtures. This is called for in the code. 140 is scalding and can cause serious burns. It's fine to keep the tank at 140...it minimizes legionella bacteria.

I have a recirculating loop which I will not be keeping at 120.
    So, I need another option.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Why does the recirc loop matter? Usually it's the same temp as the outlet of the tank. I presume it's pushing towards the tank and has a check valve on the pump's discharge side?

• ChrisJ
    edited May 2020
    Options

Why does the recirc loop matter? Usually it's the same temp as the outlet of the tank. I presume it's pushing towards the tank and has a check valve on the pump's discharge side?

Because I don't want to risk Legionella in the loop.
    I can actually keep the kitchen loop it's own temperature as the bathrooms are isolated from it. So, I could put a mixing valve on just that loop, but Legionella does concern me even if the tank is in theory free of it. Could I be concerned over nothing? Perhaps, I don't know.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    I know I've seen point of user mixing valves. Might be called anti-scald valves.

I'm getting pretty far out of my area, but I think they're required by code, at least in certain circumstances.

rick in Alaska
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    ratio said:

I know I've seen point of user mixing valves. Might be called anti-scald valves.

I'm getting pretty far out of my area, but I think they're required by code, at least in certain circumstances.

Ah ha.
    "point of use" is what I needed in my search.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Zurn-38-ZW3870XLT-4P-3-8-Aqua-Gard-Thermostatic-4-Port-Mixing-Valve-Lead-Free-Compression

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Caleffi SinkMixer 3/8 compression connections
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Even better, that has a much nicer connection pattern and a way to mount it.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    hot_rod said:

It is surprising how much pressure drop these valves cause at 1.5 - 2 GPM though.........

16 PSI @ 2 GPM?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Some years ago I was working in a private home/day care.
    Most of these are inspected by the State for safety issues.

On the sinks there was a different aerator installed.
    It was temp limiting and would close up if that temp was reached. It would auto open again after cooling off a little.
    Never saw any again nor a source.

Disadvantage was you had to mix H&C yourself to keep the water on......not a bad learning process for toddlers.

With pre mix under the sink or elsewhere, you just turn on the HW, never mix perhaps. Not necessarily good as you go to a non tempered HW supply expecting it to be safe and get surprised.
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesChrisJ
  • kevintheplumber
    kevintheplumber Member Posts: 1
    Options
    You could get a faucet with a built-in temperature limit stop. The only brand I know of is Wolverine brass, But they only sell to licensed plumbers there may be other brands that I am not aware of
    ChrisJ
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    edited May 2020
    Options
    sloan makes a 3/8" OD compression mixing valve . they are used with their touchless faucets. They are sold separate also. very simple install under existing sink
    ChrisJ