Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air in lines, no purge valves

chagob
chagob Member Posts: 2
I have an older boiler that constantly rattles my pipes. Bleeding the radiators hasn't helped. There are three zones, one for each floor basement, 1st floor, and attic (2nd floor) with mechanical circulating pumps. that look to be on the return side of the circuit. There are several different sizes of pipes leaving the boiler. The expansion tank seems to be at the end of a run of pipes and doesn't have any type of scoop or airvent. One of the Flo Control Valve seems to have some corrosion around the connections.
I would like to do the following whenever the weather is warm enough for me to cut off the boiler for the season:
  • Add a ball valve and drain valve near the circulator pumps for each zone. Can I add them about a foot above the pumps?
  • Maybe relocate the expansion tank, if necessary, and add a scoop and airvent. If this seems logical to help with air in the pipes, where should it be relocated?
  • Replace Flo Control Valve that has corrosion

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Looks like someone changed the system from air control to air elimination. You can see the old compression tank in the rafters. Only they forgot to install an air eliminator. Duh.

Who could have done that I wonder?
  • chagob
    chagob Member Posts: 2
    I bought the house last year and I've seen all types of craziness
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Find someone that knows hydronics and re-pipe it.

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Just realized you still have galvanized potable water piping!