Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Our first reversing valve replacement, not a fun one😀

Options

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    Nice job on it Gary! I had to do one a Fujitsu last summer and it was a real pain in the butt. The only thing I can say that was worse was replacing a reversing valve on a geothermal unit.
    GW
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Options
    just curious , how were you able to melt the brazed joints out without destroying everything? pretty impressive
    GW
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Billy thanks, I was terrified at first but this helped me:

I knew it could be done, because people do it. I didn’t rush, thought it through. My employee is pretty good, more natural talent with ac stuff. We put our minds together

I watched a you tube, it wasn’t a mini system but it gave me some insight, and drove the “winding wet strips of rag” home, and wetting the rags with a squirt bottle

I knew we needed room- can’t stick an oxy acetylene torch deep into a hole and not destroy stuff. There was this small metal panel between the service valves and the rev valve, which in my mind “had to go”. So we spent some time to remove the service valves. Then pulled the small metal panel. Then the access was hugely improved

Running nitrogen in every braze joint took time, had to think “which direction will the N flow”, my man could see this better than me. We even taped on the hose at a couple points with elec tape

Probably 5 hours of work with one guy, which includes pulling down the refrigerant (that takes time to pull 8 pounds). Probably 2 or three hours with a second guy. Then the pump ran for 5 hours, went back at 6:45pm to run the new juice in the system. Thankfully it was 5 minutes from my house
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    BillyOSuperTechnewbie55
  • GW
    Options
    Super, thanks, I have geo systems out there, don’t say that😀
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    SuperTech
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Options
    nice to see there are still guys out here that really care and are passionate about their trade. Great Job Again
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @GW those are a pain, never done one in a ductless but have in roof tops and they are difficult even when you can get at it. Always afraid of cooking it,

What I find that helps is thinking "how did they do it at the factory" of course it was done before the wiring was done and the unit stripped down but it give me an approach to follow.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Problem is all the labor and material adds up quick....................much more and your almost into it for a whole condensing unit.
  • GW
    Options
    Ed oh yes i know, once in a while we have a leaker wall unit and depending on the situation, we may install a whole new wall unit. Swapping out an evap coil isn't a quickie either. Here's a beauty---we installed anther mini brand once for this person and the fan motor puked. Not a big deal right? NO the evap coil needed to be pulled to change the fan motor. That one I ate, it was not even a year old. We just bought a new wall unit and washed our hands, never installed that brand ever again.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    The only reversing valve I ever changed I cheated by soldering stubs on the valve on the bench. Easier to keep the valve cool that way. Ended up with a hand full of fittings installed making it look rather non professional.

But that heat pump ran for about 30 years after that.
    There were some defective compressors that arrived that were DOA on start up. The high pressure bypass would stick open.
    I had 2 of them.....wanted a new unit....only got a compressor and reversing valve and some labor paid.

BTW, this was done before flowing N2 was the rage.
    I guess I was very lucky.
    GW
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    @Terrywshum. Knock it off. You are on the wrong forum. Only respectful talk. Disagreement is welcome and encouraged. But only when done in a respectful manner. For the sake of learning and teaching.
    Erin Holohan Haskellratio
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Did one on a water source Trane ceiling mounted unit in a bank right outsind the head mans office. Also did a little prefab work you have to or you burn it up. But there were over 50 of those units through out the 4 story building and only one rev valve go bad. Had that job for over 20 years. Actually had keys to the basement door.
    GW
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @JUGHNE

Making it look good takes 2d or 3d place in my book. Nobody want's it to look like crap but not overheating the valve and making it leak tight works for me.

In the old days, no electronic vacuum gage and no flowing nitrogen and the stuff still ran. Sometimes I think things can be over done. that being said I never agreed with charge and drive
    casturbo
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    The first AC's I installed in my duplex rental in 1981.
    The install directions were to use R-22 back and forth thru the line sets to remove the air, venting out the service ports.
    The were the original "Tappan" brand with upflow coils.
    5/8 and 1/4" lineset with flare connections each end. 14,000 btuh each.
    Had to replace one cond fan motor since install.
    Both still working 38 years later.
  • GW
    Options
    > @STEAM DOCTOR said:
    > @Terrywshum. Knock it off. You are on the wrong forum. Only respectful talk. Disagreement is welcome and encouraged. But only when done in a respectful manner. For the sake of learning and teaching.

Drats, I missed something. Boo hoo 😀
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    GW said:

Drats, I missed something. Boo hoo 😀

No, not really. :disappointed: