Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

McCormick center transition to covid center

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    edited April 2020
    Options
    hot_rod said:

...Javits and others are converted by Army Corp

Actually, contractors are doing all the work. The Corps provides rapid design services and private entities perform the construction. That was spelled out more explicitly in a previous interview, but General Semonite described it further last evening:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/under-pressure-army-corps-of-engineers-adapts-to-demands-covid-19-puts-on-states-81765445622
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,492
    Options
    Thats incredible Isn't it
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options

hot_rod said:

...Javits and others are converted by Army Corp

Actually, contractors are doing all the work. The Corps provides rapid design services and private entities perform the construction. That was spelled out more explicitly in a previous interview, but General Semonite described it further last evening:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/under-pressure-army-corps-of-engineers-adapts-to-demands-covid-19-puts-on-states-81765445622
    Yep, that is the point I wanted to make, the tradespeople stepping up to make this happen.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Options
    I am not sure which Hall that is.... It looks like it may be the lower level of the oldest and smallest building... the one on the lake. I am not sure how much of the 2.6 Million sq ft complex is going to be converted, but so far I think they are planning on 3,000 beds. I am glad Chicago and Illinois are jumping on this to be ready for the peak cases that are expected in Chicago sometime in July. At least the rich hotel man leading Illinois (Pritzker) is smarter than some others. When they announced that this field hospital was being set up it sent chills down my spine....It really starts to hit home how bad this could get. I pray and emphathize for New York City... They were hit so early and so very hard. The two great, though very different and competing, American cities have a shared sadness today.

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,584
    Options
    If I had to be laid up, I'd want to be in laid up in St. John the Divine. More to look at.
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 147
    Options

When they announced that this field hospital was being set up it sent chills down my spine....It really starts to hit home how bad this could get.

We been here before, but only a few people lived long enough to remember 1918.

Bar Harbor Maine is much-much smaller than Chicago. But money: in 1918 they had a very spiffy hospital. (Much of the money was older people.) When the 1918 flu came around the hospital was overwhelmed. They converted the Oddfellows hall to overflow hospital.

With modern highways today's plan is to ship our sick 30 miles inland to a converted sports/convention hall.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Options
    McCormick Place is located about midpoint between the Illinois medical district ( several huge hospitals) next to U of I Chicago and the University of Chicago Hospital Complex. Both are about 15 minutes away, so life threatening cases can be transferred to these huge hospitals, plus a few smaller ones that are nearby. I suspect Chicago may be getting cases from Wisconsin and Indiana since they are probably going to be overwhelmed. I am not sure what preparations are in place in Milwaukee, Madison, Rockford and Gary.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.