Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Loss

Options
superdave
superdave Member Posts: 155
Hi All,

Does any one have good heat loss program they use. I am getting pig swings from supply house and they 3 of them have same prints. I know we like being safe on heat an add some %% to cover us but something seam off.

Thanks
David

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,386
    Options
    Here you go: https://www.slantfin.com/slantfin-heat-loss-calculator/

the click for your laptop is at the bottom of the page. Or download the app.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • superdave
    Options
    Thank you for your time. Just seem light 3,200' house with 22' 18' ceiling in three room and came out about 11-15 BTUs per square foot from supply house and I told him about high ceilings.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    You can run the SlantFin program for yourself. Never hurts. It's pretty straightforward.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I suggest you take 8th Grade Earth Science.
    Home schooling now dealing with convection, conduction, radiation, dynamic equilibrium, etc. Holy ****!!!
    I dont remember doing that stuff.

The Slant/Fin app is a good one.
  • superdave
    Options
    My kids are in 7th and 3rd I am so lost the math makes no sense to me what happen to 25x35=875 one set over anther now you need to box the number round up and down math !!!!
  • superdave
    Options
    When I first open my company in late 90s as a quick rule about 30-35 BTUs per foot just to get a starting point. As house got better insulation I have gone down 25-30 BTUs per foot. Now some of the new houses its all glass walls that I could drive a truck through.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Unfortunately, the SF application is for baseboard or radiator sizing, not radiant floor heating.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    > @superdave said:
    > When I first open my company in late 90s as a quick rule about 30-35 BTUs per foot just to get a starting point. As house got better insulation I have gone down 25-30 BTUs per foot. Now some of the new houses its all glass walls that I could drive a truck through.

Then you definitely need to download the free Slant/Fin app.
    0+0=0
    Or Bluto's GPA. 0.0
  • Jamie Hall
    Options

Unfortunately, the SF application is for baseboard or radiator sizing, not radiant floor heating.

Not true, @Paul Pollets . The Slant/Fin application has two parts: one gives you the heat loss of the structure. The other, conveniently if you happen to be using baseboard, gives you the sizing for that.

Nobody -- including Slant/Fin -- says you have to use the second part. The structure heat loss will be the same, regardless of what means you plan to heat it with. I have used the app. quite successfully for everything from passive solar to forced hot air to hot water to steam to radiant to wood stoves.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    The app has fluff built into, even if you're aggressive with the ACH. Whatever it comes up with I would consider an upper limit but it's far better than a guess on sizing
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • superdave
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I had the older Slant Fin heat loss on old Vist. Computer. and just had been using suppliers to do it for me but the guys that did it in past are not available and the 2 guys came up with low numbers. I have down loaded new one but can't print out for some reason.