Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Articles and illustrations needed

Options
Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,569
I am working on a report for a property that is having a disturbing number of leaks in steel threaded hydronic pipes. I am looking for industry articles, illustrations and whitepapers to help support my conclusions. This issue is being caused by a combination of velocity, chemistry and O2. I don't have all the tests back yet and am not going to post all of it online. Please share your favorite material on the subject. If any of you are interested in editing or contributing to the paper, please send me a PM.
Attached is a teaser :)
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,292
    Options
    Hi @Zman , Corrosion Engineering by Mars Fontana is my go to book, with photos of interesting stuff. I'm sure you can find it at www.addall.com for not much. I was a member of the National Association of Corrosion Engineers for years and this looks like erosion corrosion to me.

Yours, Larry
    ZmanSTEVEusaPA
  • Zman
    Options
    I suspect corrosion accelerated by O2 and chemistry. The circs that were originally installed 40 years ago were massively oversized. About 17 years ago they slowed it down a bit but probably not enough.
    Albert Einstein
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Nice foresnics Carl.
    Just wondering, what is this? Not properly de-burred after cutting the pipe?

steve
  • Zman
    Options
    Steve,
    I believe it was deburred. The shot with the true bar shows it better. It really looks like erosion just after the fitting.
    Carl
    Albert Einstein