Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bathroom Faucet / industrial push with time shutoff? Adjustable ?

Options
heathead
heathead Member Posts: 234
My daughters high school has faucets that you press down then they flow water and then shut off on their own. Reminds me of the ones in rest stops. She said their are a couple in the school you press then they shut off within 5 seconds. I have a call in the school to check them but who knows I know I sound like crazy parent. Anyone know what they are called or who made them. I would like to supply directions to prove to them the timing is adjustable. They have to be adjustable to time based upon flow. What should the time be adjusted to keep water on when washing hands. I think this is going to take some more pushing on my end to get this fixed.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Push once to wet your hands, soap up and push again to rinse. If you can't control the school and their conservation efforts, control that which you can, the habit.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I have installed a few of them, they are adjustable. But I think lack of use might eventually mess up the timing of the water flow......if that tells you anything.

Just a story from an old guy;
    I went to a private school 1-8 grades.
    We moved into our new building in 1962.
    About 45 years later someone from the school board asked about getting hot water to the restroom lav sinks.
    I checked and found all lavs connected to cold...hot and cold faucets. Hard piped in gal piping.
    In the piping chase between the restrooms the hot supply was just hanging there capped off.
    I was able to connect the hot faucets to this with a tempering valve.

At our 50 year school reunions I asked both men and women what they remember about the temperature of the hot water in the lav sinks. Both thought it was fine....couldn't believe it was only cold.
    (Tells you how much anyone washed their hands, huh.)
    The priest at the time must have figured children did not need hot water.

We had maybe 40 kids in each of 4 classrooms. 75% of them came from the farm with cows, pigs and chickens....loaded with a variety of virus. Baths were only on Saturday night.....many used outhouses.....no hand washing there was there? But we all had our polio shots and also Smallpox shots....still have that accepted pox badge of honor on our shoulders.

I don't remember anyone being sick.....maybe measles and chicken pox for everyone.....we are all waiting for the shingles to set in.

But I guess things have changed.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Yeah, I suppose with the new Coronavirus were supposed to be washing our hand for 20 seconds. Most of the ones I have seen don't stay on very long, in fact there real energy savers they don't stay on long enough to get hot
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Many manufacturers make that type of cartridge for their faucets but chicago faucet is one of the most popular ones.

It seems they probably change their delay time to be shorter with wear.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    @JUGHNE reminds me of an old man I knew in Vermont who wanted to start a day camp. I had to tell him his water supply wouldn't pass -- it was a spring, and simply loaded with bacteria (just about crawled out of the sample bottle). His comment? "Young man, I've been drinking that water for 80 years, and I ain't dead yet". But I think it's true -- farm/ranch/country raised folks do seem to have more robust and versatile immune systems. Not that they can't catch something new -- like this one -- but even then seems to me that they can do a better job of battling it.

And I well remember when the Salk polio vaccine was introduced (I was in high school) -- what a revolution in our social lives! Before that it was a real and ever-present threat in any gathering.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    BillyO
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    There isn't a good way for me to post it, but digging through the chicago faucet catalog, it looks like you can order the cartridges as fixed or adjustable time.
    BillyO
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    They are supposed to be set for 10 seconds, at least the last time I had to deal with them, but it has been a while. You can change the timing on them.
    Rick
    BillyO