Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Automatic Vent Damper Opening and Closing Constantly

Options
danielha
danielha Member Posts: 18
I have a gas boiler for a radiant hot water system with 2 zones - 1 for radiators and 1 for in floor radiant. The in floor radiant was added a couple years ago and a two zone i-link pump controller was installed. Perhaps related, perhaps not, around this time the automatic honeywell vent damper started opening and closing all the time (and started squeaking, which brought it to my attention). It stays open and works fine when the thermostat is calling for heat, but when nothing is running it just slowly opens and closes over and over again.

I'm wondering 1) If this is likely to be a bad piece of hardware that I should replace or 2) someone messed up some wiring. If it's the wiring, I'm at a loss for what would be causing this constant cycling of just the vent damper when nothing is calling for heat.

Thanks! I've attached photos of the various parts.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    What kind of thermostats? If they have batteries I’d shut everything off and replace them with fresh ones.
    If it’s not that, and you have no loose wiring/connections, then you’re going to need a meter and some troubleshooting skills.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Sounds like the sensor that detects when the damper is closed isn't working. When the thermostat is calling for heat, the damper will turn until the sensor that detects when the damper is open is the one that stops the motor, so the one that detects when it's closed is irrelevant.

Your control looks more complicated than mine, so I'm not sure how it works, but I see something that looks like a relay in the lower left of the picture, with a clear plastic case. If I had to guess, which I do, I'd say that's a SPDT relay that's energized when the thermostat calls for heat, and the contacts probably toggle which switch is "listened to." So either the relay contacts that connect to the "vent is closed" switch aren't making contact, or the switch itself isn't closing. Or something.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    BTW, the squeaking is normal. I don't know why you weren't noticing it before, but they always do that.
  • danielha
    Options
    Maybe I just noticed it when it started doing it every 5 seconds :D
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    If you disconnect the TT connections from the zone controller and the problem goes away it is an issue on the control side. If it does not, it is probably a bad actuator in the damper.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • danielha
    Options
    After some more investigation the wiring at the board seems pretty funky and slightly jarring it causes it to start and stop entirely. I'm leaning towards it being a problem with the unit itself. Are these things worth replacing? I have seen some comments that you might as well just jam them open and be done with it.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    I think an automatic vent damper is worth having. Have you taken off that metal cover in the middle of the board and looked inside? I'm guessing that's where the position sensors would be.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    If you are going to bypass the damper don't jamb it open. Remove the damper fully.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    The switch kn the right side, is that auto/manual?
    You can switch it to manual and leave it open. You'll just lose some efficiency. .083% by my calculation.