Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

press tools

Grallert
Grallert Member Posts: 643
So the time has come. After many years of pretty hard service the blue smoke got out of my ridged press tool. It seems there is a long service wait for a rebuild or even inspection. Too long to wait I fear. It turns out the batteries I have will not fit the newer Ridged press tools. So. It seems now would be a good time to look at other tools. We use Milwaukee here and have a pile of batteries. Maybe that is the way to go. I don't press anything bigger than 1" really maybe 1 1/4" once in a blue moon. I'd like to be able to press steel but that's not important really. Milwaukee has their M12 and M18 tool. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks in advance.
M
Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker

Comments

• Shane_2
    Shane_2 Member Posts: 191
    edited February 2020
    I have the Ridgid 330-B press tool (1/2-2"). If mine quit I might consider the Milwaukee. I would decide based on jaw compatibility. If you could not buy new jaws for the tool you could save some $. I don't need it often but the 1 1/2" and 2" sizes saved me a ton of headache a few times
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    The Milwaukee M12 will do you to 1 1/4” and also Zoomlock if you purchase the Ridgid jaw kit.
    I love mine and it’s been several months since I had to use my REMS which goes up to 4” but weighs 5x as much.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    DZoro
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I've got a Ridgid 340 for the larger pipe, a Ridgid 200 for smaller pipe, and a Nibco 200 that floats around too. I like the Nibco best, comfort and weight wise, plus it takes Makita batteries which all my other stuff is BUT it only goes to 1". The Ridgid will do up to 1-1/4" and will accept the Viega Pureflow jaws for pex crimping which is nice. I have used the Milwaukee and if I were buying one today that would absolutely be the one I bought. Lighter, shorter, and faster than the Ridgid and at a better price point too.
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    I have the small Milwaukee that does up to 1 1/4" love it. Very compact
    Grallert
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Check to see if some places lend out a tool while yours is being fixed. Some places have a lending program while they repair yours.
    kcopp
  • Grallert
    Thanks guys. I have all the jaws and I think the ridged jaws will fit the Milwaukee. Luckily I still know how to solder LOL so I'm in no super rush for a replacement. I like the idea of having fewer batteries to deal with though keeping the ridged charged up was no issue. The real rub is I have four ridged batteries that will be of no use to me if I change tools.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Keep an eye on Home Depot's Milwaukee page: they often offer the M12 with the additional 1 1/4" jaw and the M12 tubing cutter on special for the same price as the standard kit.

That's how I got mine. Some other online sellers may do the same.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Grallert
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    https://mechanical-hub.com/ahr-expo-best-in-show-erics-picks/

Eric reviewed this tool at the show

Rumor has it Milwaukee builds the Ridgid press tool? Do batteries swap?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Grallert
    hot_rod said:

https://mechanical-hub.com/ahr-expo-best-in-show-erics-picks/

Eric reviewed this tool at the show

Rumor has it Milwaukee builds the Ridgid press tool? Do batteries swap?

Boy that battery sure does look like a Milwaukee battery. The batteries I have from my ridged are different, Just different enough.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I know Makita batteries will work in my Ridgid 200, but it sure looks a lot more Milwaukee-esque on that 350
  • I've been very happy with my Ridgid 200, but the Milwaukee tool looking enticing.

BTW, I'm looking for a Ridgid 28043 ProPress ring set 1/2" - 1-1/4" for tight quarters if anyone has one laying around.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    check eBay
  • I check it every week. No deals so far.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • sallaberry
    sallaberry Member Posts: 19
    I bought the Milwaukee because of the batteries. Often I don’t use propress but I’ve have had a whole car wash With probably 20 sweat joints the rest propress. So I didn’t want bad batteries when I go to use it. Like my pex tying gun didn’t use it for a year and was zip tying a 10,000 square foot building when the batteries wouldn’t hold a charge.