Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What size elbow is this on the male side?

rccrfan
rccrfan Member Posts: 51
edited February 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
So I go to change my relief valve today and when I start to unscrew it, I notice the threads are hitting the boiler supply pipe that its near. Ok fine, so I figure I will unscrew the whole thing via the elbow that the relief valve is screwed into. No dice either because now the relief valve hits the back of the boiler.

Looks like the installer didn't have the foresight to imagine the relief valve would someday need to be replaced. So Now I have to cut the elbow off and install a longer one that will bring the relief valve out a little more so I can thread the relief valve into it without the relief valve hitting the boiler supply pipe.

My question is: What are the thread size of the male side of this elbow that thread into the boiler supply? The relief valve is 3/4 so does that make the elbow 3/4 on the male side? It looks smaller to me than the female side for some reason.

Also, there’s black pipe and street pipe fittings at Lowe’s- can I use the black pipe ones? Thank you.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    It's just a 3/4" street elbow. What's with the shiny pipe?
    steve
  • rccrfan
    edited February 2020
    I’m not sure why they used that pipe it does look out of place. From what I figure I can buy a 2.5 inch pre threaded male to male piece and a new female to female elbow and that should do it. What a hack
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    edited February 2020
    If you unscrew the discharge connection from the relief valve, it doesn't have room to spin out? If the relief is hitting the pipe behind it, can you turn the street ell a little, and then get it to clear?

With all due respect, if you didn't know what a street ell is, why do you feel you can call someone else a hack?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    rick in Alaska
  • rccrfan
    Because if you do this for a living then you should know. As a homeowner if I have to go behind someone and fix their **** then yea they’re a hack.
    pecmsgGroundUpJHK
  • rccrfan
    Also, let’s not forget that this is the same company that forgot the flange gasket on the burner to boiler connection as well as the relief valve on the indirect. This little oversight today with too short an elbow takes the cake. Total hacks
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    rccrfan said:

Because if you do this for a living then you should know. As a homeowner if I have to go behind someone and fix their **** then yea they’re a hack.

I don't see a problem with the install, I see someone with a lack of knowledge on how to take things apart. If you are going to use that language and call someone a hack due to your lack of knowledge, fully expect to be called out on it.

As said, you turn the elbow to the side slightly so it clears the pipe behind it, then spin out the relief valve. If it went together it will come apart, this is a fact.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ChrisJHVACNUTGroundUprick in Alaska
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    rccrfan said:

Because if you do this for a living then you should know. As a homeowner if I have to go behind someone and fix their ******* then yea they’re a hack.

Should have picked the contractor more carefully!

Nice language BTW
  • rccrfan
    Its unable to come apart either way I try, even if I turn the elbow and then try to turn the valve. When they installed it I was downstairs doing laundry and specifically remember him installing the valve and elbow along with the boiler pressure gauge and then threading the supply into the boiler.

You're right, I shouldn't have used home advisor and their "reputable" reviews about this contractor. I would have been better off watching You Tube tutorials and doing the install myself Oy Vey
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Our number one forum rule is to be respectful of one another and that includes not using foul language. We've edited the language. Please be respectful from here on out. Thank you.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • icy78
    icy78 Member Posts: 404
    Rotate the 45 so the valve points downward. Cut the valve off with a Sawzall. Remove the 45 and repipe it so you can do it however you like. Maybe I should have said HACK the pipe off with a Sawzall.
    ChrisJ
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    edited February 2020
    It looks like there is something threaded into the discharge port of the relief valve. It needs to be removed before you can remove the relief valve lol. Rotate the shiny pipe if you have to in order to clear the boiler. If that's out of your wheelhouse, then roll the street 90 maybe 20 degrees one way or the other to clear the shiny pipe with the discharge and screw the relief valve out of it, then remove the street 90 completely. Reinstall in the opposite direction. This is a 2 minute job that you're making laughably more difficult than necessary. This "hack" you hired sure is making you look like a fool right about now.
  • rccrfan
    I ended up banging the boiler case with a 5lb sledge so the valve will turn. Most of the case is space anyway. I did hear a crack and some water came out but I'm not worried. Also, while I was there I cut that shiny pipe completely out of the picture and installed me some nice PVC tubing. All set now.
    ChrisJ
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    With the PVC drop removed, cut or broken that relief valve will spin out of that st90 with out any gymnastics.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @rccrfan said:
    > I ended up banging the boiler case with a 5lb sledge so the valve will turn. Most of the case is space anyway. I did hear a crack and some water came out but I'm not worried. Also, while I was there I cut that shiny pipe completely out of the picture and installed me some nice PVC tubing. All set now.

You removed the Buderus manifold and re piped it in PVC? Is that right?
    What's the boiler case? Hope you don't mean the casting.
    What exactly did you smack?
    I would've gone with a 10 lb sledge. I mean, if you're gonna smack it, you gotta mean it.
  • rccrfan said:

I ended up banging the boiler case with a 5lb sledge so the valve will turn. Most of the case is space anyway. I did hear a crack and some water came out but I'm not worried. Also, while I was there I cut that shiny pipe completely out of the picture and installed me some nice PVC tubing. All set now.

I love this place!
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    > @HVACNUT said:
    > > @rccrfan said:
    > > I ended up banging the boiler case with a 5lb sledge so the valve will turn. Most of the case is space anyway. I did hear a crack and some water came out but I'm not worried. Also, while I was there I cut that shiny pipe completely out of the picture and installed me some nice PVC tubing. All set now.
    >
    > You removed the Buderus manifold and re piped it in PVC? Is that right?
    > What's the boiler case? Hope you don't mean the casting.
    > What exactly did you smack?
    > I would've gone with a 10 lb sledge. I mean, if you're gonna smack it, you gotta mean it.
    >

I believe he's trolling now.
    It's a good way to get others to want to help you down the road.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    GroundUp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I really don't see what the problem is.
    Cut the discharge off if you can't unscrew it,
    In fact cut the valve off if you can't unscrew it

Take the stree elbow off and put new stuff back on.

What's the big deal?
    Grallert
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @ChrisJ said:
    > > @HVACNUT said:
    > > > @rccrfan said:
    > > > I ended up banging the boiler case with a 5lb sledge so the valve will turn. Most of the case is space anyway. I did hear a crack and some water came out but I'm not worried. Also, while I was there I cut that shiny pipe completely out of the picture and installed me some nice PVC tubing. All set now.
    > >
    > > You removed the Buderus manifold and re piped it in PVC? Is that right?
    > > What's the boiler case? Hope you don't mean the casting.
    > > What exactly did you smack?
    > > I would've gone with a 10 lb sledge. I mean, if you're gonna smack it, you gotta mean it.
    > >
    >
    > I believe he's trolling now.
    > It's a good way to get others to want to help you down the road.
    >
    >

Yeah I should have picked up on that. If it's true it's like the pot calling the kettle black.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Hopefully he will post a picture of his improvement over the Hack Job he had to correct.
    We all like new ideas and methods to consider.