Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Making two zones from one. Question about Zone Valves and control.

Options
Crispy
Crispy Member Posts: 17
IBC DC20-125 with one radiant zone and one cast iron zone in a 2 bed, 1200 sq ft home. The radiant zone is mixed down and the cast iron zone runs at boiler temp. I made a 2 port manifold for the iron running to two bedrooms. Of course now I wish I had separate control. Can I put a zone valve and thermostat on each bedroom circuit and have them fire the boiler and zone circulator either independently or both at once? I have a Taco 4 zone controller with the other 2 zones being used for an indirect and another room. Put another way, what’s the best way to split one zone into two? One bedroom will get limited use and that’s why we want to split it out. Thanks in advance, C

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,337
    Options
    Shouldn't be problem. Most zone valves have end switches -- which make life very simple (usually...) You have the thermostats control the two zone valves -- you may need a separate 24 volt transformer for that. Then wire the two end switches in parallel, and run the wires to where your existing thermostat connects to the Taco controller. The thermostats then will open their respective zone valves, and when either or both zone valves is (are) open the Taco will run the boiler and pumps just as the single thermostat does now.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England