Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Wayne Conversion Burner - Direct fire ignition module problems?

David Toppin_2David Toppin_2 Member Posts: 48
Thanks in advance for your help! I have a Weil McLain oil Boiler with a Wayne HSG200 gas conversion burner in it. It has been giving me nuisance lockouts for a few months now, but it always started when I reset it with the main switch. I talked to Wayne, they said most common thing was a dirty flame rod, I replaced it with a new one. It ran for 2 to 3 days without problem, then it started to lockout again. It has gotten to the point where it doesn't start anymore. I can hear spark after it blows for a bit. I think it is the ignition control not sending 24V to the gas valve. The air pressure switch checks out good and I can hear it clicking on when the blower fires up, and I jumped it to be sure. I measure across the gas valve and and only see at most 12V. I measured at the control MV1 to MV2 while it was firing and only see 10V there. I see 27V at the 24V terminal on the controller (Fenwal 05-31). All I could find today (Saturday) was the Honeywell universal and I am looking for the one it calls for in the manual, Honeywell S89F, or the updated Fenwal 35-65. I am wondering if it sounds like my diagnosis is correct and would like to know if you would use one of the two valves I am listing or something else. Wayne also has their own control now it looks like. Pictures at the following link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/toTCLbrb6YgFGhdj7

Comments

• rick in Alaskarick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,086
    Make sure you have good connections on all the 24 volt outputs, and the grounding is good. I am not familiar with the other controls, but if the connections are good, it sounds like a bad control.
    Rick
  • David Toppin_2David Toppin_2 Member Posts: 48
    Thank you very much. I have checked the grounds with a mm and they all seem good, and I have wiggled the connections much. Plus sometimes it puts out 24V and sometimes 10 to 12 to the gas valve. I don't understand the sporadic voltage change, but I guess it would have to be the control
    I should add that I have gotten it to run, but only sporadically. When it does run, 24V is there at the gas valve, but eventually it locks out. Presently it is not restarting. I have ordered a new ignition control, but it won't be here until Wednesday..
    Just wanted to update in case anyone else has this problem. I tried to get the Wayne control but it was at least a week out, and with no heat that wasn't an option. I purchased the Honeywell S89F1098 on Amazon, wired it up, and the boiler now works fine.
    rick in Alaska
    I also wanted to say this was a gradual thing. Started with nusiance lockouts and then eventually the boiler just wouldn't fire.