Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam coming out of radiator vent

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
This discussion was created from comments split from: Radiator sounds like it is boiling water inside of it.

Comments

• jess32777
    jess32777 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been looking at this discussion and I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm a girl so I have no idea about radiators so please be kind...lol.. my radiators look a lot like the one posted above. one of my upstairs bedrooms the steam coming out of the vent is destroying my plaster wall.. do I need to replace it? Or change the number setting on it? It's the smallest spare bedroom upstair and no one goes in it.. I also dont know what the numbers mean either.. what should they all be set on? Any help would be great!! Here is a pic.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,007
    Options
    @gfrbrookline It seems like more work to swap radiators (if you have spares) than to just put in a Vent Rite #1. Unless someone installed an oversized radiator, swapping around shouldn't be necessary.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    edited February 2020
    Options
    jess32777 said:

Hi everyone, I've been looking at this discussion and I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm a girl so I have no idea about radiators so please be kind...lol.. my radiators look a lot like the one posted above. one of my upstairs bedrooms the steam coming out of the vent is destroying my plaster wall.. do I need to replace it? Or change the number setting on it? It's the smallest spare bedroom upstair and no one goes in it.. I also dont know what the numbers mean either.. what should they all be set on? Any help would be great!! Here is a pic.

Hi there-- Don't worry about being a woman, most men are clueless when they first come here too (I sure was). Yes, I'd replace it. It is supposed to be closing when it sees steam, not letting the steam come out. How many decades has it been leaking? :lol:

Since no one goes in that room, I would replace it with a vent that releases air slowly, like a Maid O' Mist #4 or if you have a lot of money, a Gorton #4.

Your existing vent is adjustable, so it can be adjusted by the room occupant to deliver heat faster, or slower. But all that is moot if it is leaking steam. It could might possibly be coaxed to work again, but since a MoM vent costs less than two lattes, that's the direction I'd go.

But also it's best to start a new discussion for a new topic, otherwise it gets very confusing. I bet @Erin Holohan Haskell will be happy to move your question to a new discussion for you.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • jess32777
    jess32777 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice.. I'll get a replacement..lol that valve has been in the house since before we bought the house over 13 years ago.. i just noticed it now so who knows how long it's been doing that!! Lol Thanks again!!
    ethicalpaul
  • SteamingatMohawk
    Options
    The vent valve looks a bit low, like about 1/3 of the height of the radiator. I can't determine if there are additional plugged openings. Conventional wisdom is to locate them half way up.
    ethicalpaul
  • exqheat
    exqheat Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Are you sure the nest is not working off it's preset set back schedule. Definitely move the tstat to a more average temp location.
    John Cockerill Exquisite Heat www.exqheat.com Precisions boiler control from indoor reset.
  • exqheat
    exqheat Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Is this puppy short cycling due to pressurtrol settings? Seems kind of tight. A properly located thermostat should control the system. At Zero+ oz's pressure the steam should fill rads ?
    John Cockerill Exquisite Heat www.exqheat.com Precisions boiler control from indoor reset.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options

The vent valve looks a bit low, like about 1/3 of the height of the radiator. I can't determine if there are additional plugged openings. Conventional wisdom is to locate them half way up.

Mine are all ⅓.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    exqheat
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    Options
    You might try setting it to a low number first. Unscrew the top completely and turn the piece below it until the hole to the side is almost (or completely) covered. (The radiator will then heat slower if at all.)

I used to have one of these leakers. If I remember right, it worked ok if it was set low enough. But then the radiator heated too slowly, so it became a spare.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,293
    edited February 2020
    Options

jess32777 said:

But also it's best to start a new discussion for a new topic, otherwise it gets very confusing. I bet @Erin Holohan Haskell will be happy to move your question to a new discussion for you.

Thanks, @ethicalpaul.

@jess32777, we've opened up a new post for this discussion.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    BTW you should fix it sooner rather than later, the new water that the boiler brings in to replace the water that is being lost as steam is really bad for the longevity of your boiler.

Also be a great idea to make sure your boiler is set to a low pressure.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • SteamingatMohawk
    Options
    I give up. Where is the new post?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    You're on it?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options

I give up. Where is the new post?

Right here.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,293
    Options
    Yes, this is the new post.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • SteamingatMohawk
    Options
    Sorry, I wasn't smart enough to start at the top. Must be getting old. Thanks for being patient with me.
    ethicalpaulHap_HazzardErin Holohan Haskell