Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Boiler - new install

Options
Goody2525
Goody2525 Member Posts: 3
edited January 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
PurePro Trio vs Buderus vs System 2000.

I got the heat load from a sales guy who entered 10 numbers into an app and not from actual measurements and it does not take into account the better insulation or pellet stove. The heated portion of the house is 2300 sq/ft. 4 zones but we never have more than 1-2 on at one time. For 7-8 months of the year the boiler only turns on to heat water.

I think the system 2000 would be great but is a little expensive for my needs. I can heat my house almost exclusively with the pellet stove so I feel like the extra cost wont be made up in savings. I used about 1000 gallons in September 2018-September 2019 but since performing air sealing, insulation and using pellet stove I've used about 100 gallons since September. I'm at I'm new to the area so Im using the quotes to try to figure out who knows what they are talking about vs trying to sell me things I don't need or already have. The PurePro quote performs the heat load quote prior to install to ensure they order the correct size unit.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    First we don't discuss pricing here so please edit your post to remove those numbers.
    How did you determine the heat load?
    If you have air sealed and added insulation and you still need 95k I would speculate your house is 4000+ sq ft? Is that the case?

Why do you think the System 2000 is overkill?

As far as boiler selection, the important criteria is the installer. You want someone competent that will pipe and set up the boiler properly. Most issues people write about online are actually problems with the install, not a boiler problem.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Goody2525
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I think the system 2000 would be great but is a little expensive for my needs. I can heat my house almost exclusively with the pellet stove so I feel like the extra cost wont be made up in savings. I used about 1000 gallons in September 2018-September 2019 but since performing air sealing, insulation and using pellet stove I've used about 150 gallons since September. I'm at I'm new to the area so Im using the quotes to try to figure out who knows what they are talking about vs trying to sell me things I don't need or already have. The PurePro quote performs the heat load quote prior to install to ensure they order the correct size unit.
  • Goody2525
    Options
    I need a unit that is at least 87% efficient to qualify for a Connecticut state heat loan.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Your first step is to determine the heat load of your building -- accurately. Inserting 10 numbers into an app. without measuring anything does not qualify. Nor, however, does the pellet stove. Your building inspector -- never mind your bank -- will require that the boiler be able to heat the house without it.

The second step is to take the existing radiation in relation to the heat load to determine what temperatures you can expect the boiler to operate at.

From there, it's a matter of finding an installer who knows and likes the boiler he or she is proposing to install and who knows what he or she is doing. The installation, set up, and tuning of these boilers -- particularly the newer ones which can meet that 87% or better threshold -- is not something to trust to a salesperson or, frankly, to just anyone, and a quality installation will make or break the job.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Although I would usually say the EK, in this instance I'd put the proper sized trio in then. Less moving parts, easily attainable, any half-way knowledgeable tech can work on it.
    Set up and tuned perfectly, with proper combustion air, draft, true zero smoke and double oil filtration, you'll probably only have to clean that boiler every 2, probably 3 years.

Equally important, at this low fuel usage rate, is to fill the tank at the end of the season and stick in an additive.
    steve