Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No pressure guage on boiler

Hey guys, been troubleshooting my one pipe steam system this winter and have been able to remedy many issues with info found here. Replaced all air vents, changed all inlet valves and have them fully opened. When checking to make sure the boiler psi is set right (1psi currently) I noticed that I don't have a gauge anywhere near the boiler to verify the set psi. I see a clogged gauge about 15ft away on the return line, not sure if that gauge is intended to monitor the psi. I have a few questions:
1) is possible to add a guage and if so how do I go about it?

2) My main air vent is on a T with the same gauge that's on the return line, is this allowable?

3) I'm getting hissing from one radiator when the system starts up for about 20-30 secs, this radiator is furthest from boiler and is at the end of the system. Is it normal to only get hissing from one radiator? This radiator had a clogged vent and was spitting water prior. I have since tilted it and replaced the vent. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    A pressure gauge on the return line? That's a new one.

Yes, you can easily add a pressure gauge. I would suggest 0 to 5 psi. Amazon has them. The simplest way to do it, usually, is to add a T to the pigtail for the pressuretrol, and using some handy combination of nipples and elbows pipe both the pressuretrol and the pressure gauge to that. Exactly how sort of depends on what's where.

Having your main air vent on the same T as the pressure gauge is certainly allowable -- no rule against it -- but I'd be kind of surprised if the vent were big enough, unless you've already replaced it with one or two Gorton #2s. Which might also account for that one radiator hissing at you -- it's trying to make up for that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England