Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Biasi B10-5 not saving me any money in oil

razzor
razzor Member Posts: 20
Hi,

Had a new Biasi B10-5 boiler with Riello F5 installed in November but using as much oil as my old V75 Burnham boiler. ****. Plus it runs quite often. I have an Indirect tank not on a priority zone. Not sure if the Hydrostat 3250 is set up right. 7 zones including indirect. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Probably won't save you much, if the old Burnham was set up right. Both boilers will max out at somewhere around 85% efficiency on a good day, and a BTU is a BTU.

How often it runs is entirely related to the total mass of the boiler and the water -- and, more importantly, the controls and the way they are set up. How long, all told, it runs isn't. That's a function only of how much heat does your structure lose -- assuming both boilers are of equal efficiency which, as noted above they probably are.

I hope you didn't swap out the Burnham hoping to save a lot of money on oil... because you won't.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GrallertSuperTech
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    That Biasi is a lower mass boiler, it contains less water and less cast iron so the burner is going to come on more often in order maintain a water temperature during a call. Unfortunately swapping a boiler out only saves fuel if the old boiler is terribly inefficient. or less efficient than the replacement. Those F5 Biasi combinations are loud in my experience. Insulation, or insulated window shades, better windows more radiation are things that could help.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • jimna01
    jimna01 Member Posts: 34
    Equipment owner here . My Basi (rebranded as a Solaia ) has been chugging along 14 years now with zero issues. Mine reduced my oil consumption by nearly 30% only because it replaced a circa 1960 Crane Sunnyday beast. Three zones with indirect DWH
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    7 zones. Was a heat loss done and equipment properly sized.
    Maybe a buffer tank would help with the short cycling.
    What does your original installer have to say?
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    You should have the 3250 Plus. Use the manual to go through the settings. Is it using the economy setting?
    The water heater needs to be wired from the DHW circulator hot in parallel with ZR in the Hydrostat.
    IMO you should definitely see saving in consumption.
    SeanBeans