Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can't get heater to fire? Please help?

Options
2»

Comments

• AlaskaHeat
    AlaskaHeat Member Posts: 24
    Options
    > @Jolly Bodger said:
    > So it is working now? or is it short cycling?
    >
    > There are a lot of wires crammed into the box and if you don't know what they should be doing it is easy to get things switched around. In this case you have 24 volt and 120 volt circuits. It is lucky you didn't cross the two.
    >
    > This is why we often say if you don't know what you are doing, put your hands in your pockets and call a pro.
    >
    > Glad you have heat now!

The heater is working great now. Seems it just needed to warm up.
    And believe me I am not above calling in a pro... But I am super broke... A family friend got the motor for me.
  • AlaskaHeat
    Options
    It's out again... The inducer motor is good... It just won't spin at all... I know I need a pro or a new heater... But... Neither I can afford currently... Any thoughts would be awesome... In a hard spot right now...

The motor is good but will not spin, it was working awesome thanks to everyone who commented... I got it going... Then it just stopped... No loud noises... No warning... Just wouldn't spin... Any thing y'all can suggest to try would be awesome.

Thank you all in advance for helping out...AGAIN
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    How handy are you at wiring? Other than that junction box which looked a bowl of spaghetti... do you have a non-contact voltage detector? The sort which lights a little light if you hold it near a powered wire? If so, locate the leads to the motor and move them -- if you can -- so that they are some distance from other wires (say half an inch). Then ask the motor to run; you should see voltage on one of the wires going to the motor. If you don't, there is something amiss either in the wiring or in the control board.

While you are at it, tidy up all the wiring. Use another junction box if you have to. Maybe two more. Separate the 24 volt and 120 volt completely -- not in the same box, not in the same conduits. Double check all the connections; wire nuts sometimes look good but aren't, particularly if they get pushed around.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • AlaskaHeat
    Options
    @Jamie Hall got a non contact voltage tester. Seems I have power to the motor. But it won't spin. This is frustrating... Any ideas would be awesome
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Well... if you have power on one motor wire, and not the other... either there is a motor problem, or a problem in the neutral or ground (or both) return wires, I would think. If there's voltage on both motor power wires, then it surely is a bad connection somewhere (assuming things are wired properly, of course...)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England