Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure gauge is always showing 0 psi

Options
Hello,

my pressure gauge is always showing 0 psi, even after the boiler is running for a few minutes. The Pressuretrol is set to 0.5 psi. Is this normal? Could be anything wrong that I should be worried about ? Thanks

Comments

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    It could be stuck, Or it's pigtail clogged

They recommend an additional 0 to 3 oz gauge for steam boilers as it will be more accurate at the lower pressure.
    rikmonteiro
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    edited January 2020
    Options
    On a 0-30 psi gauge you probably won't see any pressure if your system is sized properly. I have added a 0-3 psi gauge since the boiler runs between 2 and 4 ounces of pressure. The 0-30 psi gauge is required by code, but you can add a 0-3 to monitor the system.
    rikmonteiro
  • rikmonteiro
    rikmonteiro Member Posts: 20
    Options
    @Leon82 how do I check if the pigtail is clogged? If it is clogged, how do I un-clog it? And also what could happen if it is clogged?

thanks in advance..
  • rikmonteiro
    rikmonteiro Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Would it make sense increasing the pressure in the Pressuretrol just to see if the Pressure gauge moves, and after that move it back to 0.5 psi?
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The pressure troll won't work properly as it wont receive any pressure. You may want to post a wider picture.

I would not mess with any settings. You should describe your heating cycle in detail for the best help
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    To clear the pigtail you need to unscrew it, remove whatever is connected to it and try to blow through it with compressed air or water. If that doesn't work you can sometimes unclog them with a coat hanger or a piece of welding rod, but it's better to replace it. They're not very expensive.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Pigtails-29540000
    You'll want to get a brass one.
    You might also want to add a ¼" brass union so the next time you take it apart you won't have to disconnect the wires from the pressuretrol to take it off.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    It's normal for a residential boiler to show 0 pressure on the gage.

there's so much talk about steam pressure on this site that posters think there's something wrong if we don't have any pressure.

Chances are nothing is wrong as long as your getting heat.

It's normal procedure to remove and clean the pigtail, pressure control and pressure gage and fittings every year or two
    ethicalpaulCanucker