Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas furnace two stage and variable speed / heil brand questions

Options
bink
bink Member Posts: 97
I have a question about the subject features. I read in a Goodman article the basic function and reasons for using them. I am wondering how these features work with the thermostat. Do you need a new thermostat to control these or do they work with existing thermostats? Any tricks in setting these up?

She has a quote on a heil furnace with ac. Her furnace failed and we are trying to get heat back. Are heil furnaces a reasonable choice? Consumer reports shows a low rating.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    You will need a thermostat that offers 2 stage heat. And the extra wire needed to connect it.
    I'm not that familiar with gas fired Heil furnaces, but not a fan of Goodman.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Some two stage furnaces are able to bring on 2nd stage via an internal timer. Some can only bring on 2nd stage via the timer—they don't expose W2 at all.

I find this sub-optimal, a timer has very little idea of space temp as compared to a thermostat. Install a multi-stage or communicating thermostat.

John Mills_5
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Sold Heil/Tempstar/ICP for 20+ years, got tired of the MFR making the contractor fix all their screw ups and not get paid a penny. Been selling Goodman for the last 5 years, been very happy with the company and the product. Yes the cabinet without doors on it, is rocky, but the product is designed to have doors on it. Put the doors on and it is one of the quietest and reliable products on the market. 20 years ago was a different story with Goodman.....
    The Heil 2 stage will work with a single stage stat, so with the Goodman 2 stage variable.
    Keep in mind the variable is the blower motor, not the gas firing.
    D
  • bink
    bink Member Posts: 97
    Options
    Thanks Dzoro,rato,and HVACNUT. Helping a lot.