Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam venting at end of cycle

Options
caseycamire
caseycamire Member Posts: 20
edited December 2019 in Strictly Steam
Hey everyone - I have a puzzler. I bought a house with steam heat last year, and over my first winter, I replaced all main vents and air vents with Gorton vents more or less according to the diagram on the Gorton website. I have yet to insulate the steam lines in my basement, but generally the system now heats up evenly, quickly, and quietly.

During shutdown, however, the radiators at the end of the long steam line (upstairs, front of house) occasionally vent steam, hissing very loudly for about 2-6 minutes, then close again for about 30 seconds, then very obviously draw vacuum, which itself is as quiet as I could expect.

But that steam hissing can be quite loud, and tends to happen more often during my morning temperature ramp up, which is an alarm clock I'd rather not have, since my actual alarm is early enough as it is!

Pressuretroller is set to about 1 psi, but I have never pulled off the pig tail, and my gauge is the 30 psi gauge that I can't really read below 5psi or so.

Could I be overpressurizing? It occurs to me that this could be the pressuretroller tripping the boiler off and not the thermostat, which would explain the steam popping my vents.

Any thoughts on this phenomenon and how to potentially stop it?

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I want to be sure I have this right. You say “during shutdown...for 2-6 minutes”

Do you mean the first hissing takes place after the burners stop firing?

Regardless, I’d clean the pigtail and install a 0-3 psi gauge but I’m still very curious about the above question
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    caseycamire
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    Options
    It's likely due to the setback and the system actually building pressure. If your thermostat has enough programmable time frames, try recovering from the setback by doing a degree or two per hour instead of all of it at once.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

• caseycamire
    Options
    Hey Paul - I'm assuming it's after the burners have stopped firing, since after the hissing stops, about 30 seconds later it always sucks vacuum through the air vent. I will definitely pull the pigtail and source a low psi gauge.

acwagner - good idea. I'm not sure how many phases I can program, but if it's not sufficient, I think I might just leave it at my daytime temp (62F) overnight.

Would insulating the steam lines make a difference? Like if the boiler cycles off, and uninsulated basement lines cool off before the lines running up the walls and under the floors do, could the mains pull vacuum while there's still steam in the upper lines, causing some kind of weird turbulence?
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    Options
    Insulating is a good thing to do for a number of reasons, but I still think this particular concern is related to your temperature setback.

Double check that the hissing happens after the burners shut down. I'd be surprised if that's the case. More likely it's the end of the recovery and the boiler is still firing.

How big is your setback? Sounds like you have a nighttime and a daytime setback?
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

ethicalpaul
  • caseycamire
    Options
    My setback is currently 4 degrees (62 during morning and evenings, 58 when at work and overnight). Is that extreme? I don't have much of a reference point!
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    It's not extreme, but it's enough that it could be making things less optimal. Try narrowing the setback to 2 degrees just for an experiment (62 and 60 let's say)

That is a very cold setting IMO!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    mattmia2JUGHNE
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,678
    Options
    Is the radiator with the hissing vent hot all the way across before the hissing begins? Is it venting air or steam?

Maybe it is stuck open and this is just when the system starts building pressure or maybe this is just when the steam starts pushing the air out of this part of the system.

Have you tried switching vents with another radiator?
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    You could just set the temp to 62 and hit "hold" for a couple days and see what happens.
    ethicalpaul