Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Feeder/Water Level Question

Options
The water level on my gauge seems a bit high, about 90% up the gauge. Incidentally, my Hydrolevel VXT-120 water feeder is reading "037", though I swore it was reading "024" recently. Does this have anything to do with the water level? I understand the optimal water level on the gauge should be between 1/2 and 2/3. What am I missing? How to do I bring down the level? Aside from what I think is a high water level, the system is running great.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Well, 90% up the gauge is a bit high. It's not a catastrophe, but it is high. Depending on your near boiler piping, it may or may not be causing a problem.

Bringing down the level -- assuming the water feeder isn't misbehaving -- may or may not be simple. It depends on where the low water sensor is located, and what kind it is. It would be useful to have pictures showing the front of the boiler (with the controls) as a whole, and the controls in more detail. Then we can make a more intelligent comment on how easy -- or even possible -- it is to change the set level.

On the 024 vs. 037 on the feeder. That's 13 gallons, assuming the feeder is actually feeding. How long was it between those two readings? Normally a steam boiler shouldn't take more than a gallon a week -- and some tight systems may be as little or a gallon or two a month.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    90% is too high and it looks like the meter on your feeder is reading additional water. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say water is leaking past the valve in that water feeder. Use the drain spigot near the bottom of the boiler to drain it back down to where it should be and watch the level to see if it creeps back up. If it does, shut the water supply to the Feeder off until you get it replaced.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    This can happen when the near-boiler piping is incorrect and a film of oil forms on the surface of the water, causing the boiler to send excess water up the risers and into the system. This can cause the water level in the boiler to momentarily dip below the level that triggers the LWCO to signal a low water condition and trigger the auto-feeder. After the heating cycle ends, the excess water returns to the boiler, resulting in a higher than normal water level.

If this is what's happening in your case, skimming the boiler should stop this from happening, but it's likely that the near-boiler piping needs some improvement too.

If you could post some pictures of your boiler, floor to ceiling, from all four sides, we can assess your near-boiler piping and determine if your boiler is set up for skimming, and then we can talk you through the process or help you find a qualified pro to do it for you.

Where are you located?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • SteamCT
    SteamCT Member Posts: 22
    Options
    I'll come back with some pictures of the near boiler piping. I'm in the Waterbury CT area.