Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ProPress Ball Valves

The price of Viega ball valves is four times that of Bluefin. Is there that much of a quality difference?

I like buying products that work well, especially when they hold up after years of use. Having to use a cheater pipe extension on a ball valve is a drag and I want it to work as well as the day it went in. But price is a consideration.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Haven’t used Bluefin, but Webstone and Nibco are much better priced. Both are double O ring. No leak issues and we’ve put in hundreds. We did have the stem snap off of a Webstone. It wasn’t forced, just defective.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    Primarily using Webstone. Zero problems
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Apollo's are the gold standard in the northeast. We have seen and used a lot of Milwaukee valves. personally I think Apollos are better.
    Don't know how they match up price wise
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
    The majority of the time we use Apollo domestic valves , and I agree with @EBEBRATT-Ed they are the standard around here (NJ). We also use Webstone and Apollo imported valves occasionally with pretty good results. Legend, Viega and Watts don't seem to last as long and tend to bind up faster when used in harsh conditions (typically hotter dhw piping).
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    sometimes I still buy male adapters and thread them on to a threaded ball valve.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I used Viega and Apollo at first, then went to Jomar. No problems with Jomar and less $$.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024

I used Viega and Apollo at first, then went to Jomar. No problems with Jomar and less $$.

Hard to beat Italian made valves :) Jomar have always been Italian made.
    Maybe they also have a price point made in PRC?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • I'm talking about Propress ball valves. I didn't know that Apollo, Jomar and others mentioned make them.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Jomar is partnered with Pettinaroli in Italy I used their valves for many years, that have some unique valves, the filter ball and valves with hose connections on one end. Like most manufacturers they offer various quality and rating options.

Bonomi is another quality Italian valve that I see on shelves.

Nibco has some good valves, I think they source some lines from China through their Webstone merger?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream