Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

adding makeup water break tank to closed system

Options
capman
capman Member Posts: 2
Does anyone have any recommendations or feed back on keeping the old PRV Or removing it with fill tank system. My installer removed the old prv and says the new feed tank has an adjustable prv with a bypass on it with pressure guage so no need to keep the old prv from the system in operation. Its only a single system one pressure commerical hotwater heating loop. 2 story building.

Comments

• capman
    capman Member Posts: 2
    Options
    per code they wanted air break and city would not allow a air gap back flow preventer they wanted a break tank fill system installed.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    They wouldn't allow a reduced pressure zone backflow preventer? How very odd. Presumably this thing has a self contained booster -- or you've piped one -- to fill from the tank. How is that booster controlled?

And what controls the level of water in the break tank (besides the overflow, of course!). In any event, I see no purpose in either a pressure reducing valve (PRV) on either the feed from the tank to the system -- the feed pump should operate only when the system actually needs water, and then the pressure feeding is irrelevant -- or on the feed to the break tank
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    I'm thinking they took a larger expansion tank, pumped the bladder up to near city water pressure, then filled and pressurized it with a hose. The new prv would set the pressure in the system.

Pictures would help.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

I'm thinking they took a larger expansion tank, pumped the bladder up to near city water pressure, then filled and pressurized it with a hose. The new prv would set the pressure in the system.

Pictures would help.

If that's what is meant, it is NOT a break tank. Or at least I would never have approved it as such. No way.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Of the feed tanks I've seen, the pump in controlled by a system pressure switch. The tank simply has a low level float which will not allow the pump to run and closes alarm contacts, which turn on a light, dialer, and/or lock out the burner.

Tank would be filled manually generally a glycol system.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!