Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mystery Loop?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options

I've wondered that in the past myself...how to slope the header

Make one riser a little shorter than the other and the equalizer even shorter.

Do you ever wonder how a 2" main can sag if a hanger breaks or a floor joist sags a little? I said it before, but I'll say it again: black pipe is bendy.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Concerning sagging, I am not a motor head but those who are have told me that even something a solid as a crank shaft or cam shaft can get out of straightness if stood at an angle for some length of time. Maybe even brake rotors not being stored flat??

So imagine 20' of pipe hanging for 80 years.
  • tlowc34
    tlowc34 Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @Hap_Hazzard - I was going to go a different route: Risers same height. Longer nipple on the one drop to the header. Ell before the both drops will clock slightly to accommodate the angle being slightly off from vertical. My steam supply goes straight up to the main at ceiling height which is running perpendicular to the header (albeit on a totally different plane, 4' higher). But the joint will be made with an ell that is clocked slightly to accommodate the supply tee not being perfectly horizontal.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    edited December 2019
    Options

Make one riser a little shorter than the other and the equalizer even shorter.

I agree it's bendy and I agree 20' can sag but tell me how to do it with the parts that Peerless says to use which are identical for both risers to the header:

NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • tlowc34
    tlowc34 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Yeah, the downslope on a header seems to be a 'pro mod' to help the steam run drier - but I haven't seen it spec'd in any manual. Looks to require a little 'artistry'
    ethicalpaul
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    Since I was cutting and threading my own pipe, there wasn't much chance I'd get the risers exactly the same length. :)

Besides, the swing arms are so long you ccould swing that header up and down a few inches. Also, if you get two different brands of elbows, there will probably be enough difference between them to pitch the header a few degrees.
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    A long cheater pipe to grunt the second nipple into the fittings ...just bury more threads into the 90 and union for that picture.

If you build a drop header then twice the opportunity to shorten one side.

For the crooked steam main riser, a set of swing 90 on the top will correct that. You have a down slopping away horizontal and a slightly out of plumb riser. The 2 90's and a short nipple will correct all of that.

How life changes.....as young boys we think of wet &reams and as old men pursue dry steam. >:)
    tlowc34ethicalpaul
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    Some of us can keep two thoughts in our head at the same time :D