Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Only one thermostat starts flame Weil-McLean

Options
orejohn
orejohn Member Posts: 3
I have a Weil-McLain boiler CGI5PINS2 and 2 zones (upstairs and down) but only the downstairs thermostat is successful in starting the flame while the upstairs causes a repeating clicking noise. Wiring is a mess (way it was installed before I bought the house) and I have checked the thermostat wiring and see no apparent issues...thoughts?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    The upstairs thermostat isn't properly connected... to something... or, if you have zone valves, the zone valve to which it is connected is not working properly, or improperly connected.

Messy wiring isn't just a matter of esthetics. It can conceal all manner of errors and bad connections. I'd probably begin by cleaning up the wiring.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    orejohn
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Is the system zoned by zone valves or circulators? You can easily check the second floor at the appropriate control to determine if its a wiring issue or a control issue.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    Options
    post a pick of your manifold.
  • orejohn
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I am double checking all the wiring. Just to clarify, the upstate thermostat is able to open the zone valve when it is demanded but if it requires to start the flame, it just keeps trying. the downstairs thermostat is able to do both without issues. I keep the temperature higher downstairs as a workaround (objective is to have the thermostat downstairs start the flame before the upstairs unit demands heat). https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ruqsCv2MocCtzbE9
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    First place I'd look -- after I tidied up the wiring -- would be the end switch on the zone valve for the upstairs zone.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Manorejohn
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Hot water heating piping/zones/control manifold.....not gas manifold.
  • orejohn
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Hot water heating piping/zones/control manifold.....not gas manifold.

Sorry, I posted 3 pictures above but only one is shown... here is the one for the manifold https://photos.app.goo.gl/j2i7yC5CtKmCMLNQA Thanks in advance for all your help!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    The two red wires are the end switch and should have continuity when the valve is open (heat calling). As Jamie said, that most likely is your trouble.

Replace the motor/head if you find the end switch is bad.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    orejohn