Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle tube noise on start up

CBRob
CBRob Member Posts: 273
edited November 2019 in Radiant Heating
The new prestige solo that I have set up for snow melt makes a bunch of banging and thumping noise when it fires up.
Yesterday I kicked it on manually just to check Delta temp and it actually banged a few times then shut it self down.
Return water temp was about 50. Running 50/50 glycol.
Should I be concerned

Comments

• SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    edited November 2019
    Not sure, but I would definately recommend tightening the brass nut connecting the supply outlet to the HX..

I’ve had almost everyone from the factory loose to the touch
  • CBRob
    Cool. I'll check it out.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Was combustion analysis done?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • CBRob
    > @Zman said:
    > Was combustion analysis done?

No, I'm pretty sure it was not.
    Should I get my installer to do that?
    He made some serious.bank off of the installation, I wouldn't hesitate to get him to check it.
  • Zman
    He absolutely should and you should get a picture of the readings. You get an excellent warranty extension if you do.https://www.triangletube.com/support/warranties
    Albert Einstein
    CBRobDZorokcopp
  • CBRob
    Heck yeah. That is quite the warranty.
    Thanks zman
    DZorokcopp
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Will also need static gas pressure and operating high fire gas pressure readings, just as if not more important than the combustion report. You can't set up the combustion without proper gas pressures operating and standing.
    D
  • CBRob
    > @DZoro said:
    > Will also need static gas pressure and operating high fire gas pressure readings, just as if not more important than the combustion report. You can't set up the combustion without proper gas pressures operating and standing.
    > D

Dz,
    Is that something you check on every new install or just when there is something strange going on?
  • DZoro
    Combustion and gas pressure tests are a absolute must on every job. No 2 jobs are alike, no two boilers are alike they look similar but are very different in operational settings.

Sometimes you may not have to touch a thing, but more often than not I find that tuning is needed, high fire, low fire, and gas pressures.

One cannot set one without the other. Always start with gas pressure standing, then gas pressure high fire, after that is all correct then you can perform the high fire combustion testing, set accordingly and only after that is all proper go to the low fire setting of combustion analysis.
    D
    CBRob
  • Steve_Wheels
    Steve_Wheels Member Posts: 28
    Banging could be a flow problem.

Why 50% glycol, way too much unless you are at the North Pole.
  • CBRob
    maybe not the north pole, but we will get occasional 30 below.
    My boiler guy got stung years ago with some freeze damage and he's probably a little paranoid now.

The exhaust flue is a pretty short run with proper pitch. I'm sure no obstructions. the noise is similar to knocking on a door.
    When I kick on the system using the tekmar control I put it right into full blast. Could that have an impact? would a boiler that's using its internal settings start low and ramp up?
    My research tells me that this noise is often the water boiling in the heat exchanger.. But that seems so unlikely.
    the circ pump works and the temps when I start it off are always pretty cool, like 40s or 50s

there is also a low loss header, so its not getting any super cool slab temp water right off the bat either.

I'll go fire it up again today and record it.

• Zman

Banging could be a flow problem.

Why 50% glycol, way too much unless you are at the North Pole.

@Steve_Wheels
    It is a snowmelt system in zone 8 ~9,500' elevation
    The north pole may be warmer :D
    Albert Einstein
  • DZoro
    Did you put the air vent on the top of the boiler?
    May also have to flush air out with the pressure relief valve.
    D
  • CBRob
    yep, got the air vent installed.
    here is the setup.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited November 2019
    is there a fast fill? And the vent on top of the boiler? hard to tell with that picture.. Banging tells me it's a flow issue. Generally set up is howling... what is the pressure on the system? Also gas line doesnt have a sediment trap or shut off If I'm picturing it right.. I would ask the manufacturer what the maximum amount of antifreeze allowed is...
  • DZoro
    Is it on the top of the boiler, by the relief? Hard to see behind the relief valve
  • Zman
    Is the air vent hidden behind the prv?
    Is it open? Air trapped in the upper portion of the HX could make the noise you describe.
    Triangle Tube is OK with 50% glycol.
    Albert Einstein
  • SeanBeans
    @Zman

If I’m. Not mistaken, in the triangle tube manual it states not to open that air vent at all. Something about the o ring becoming dry and allowing air out.
  • Zman
    @SeanBeans
    Hygroscopic, go figure, kind of like inventing a new wheel, why would you put a cap on there if you aren't supposed to use it :)
    Thanks for the heads up.
    @CBRob , I would make sure the valve is working and there is no air. Since the PRV is brand new, you could give it a quick burp.
    Albert Einstein
    CBRob
  • SeanBeans
    @Zman

I would’ve for sure played with the cap if I didn’t happen to read that small part in the book.
  • Zman
    SeanBeans said:

@Zman

I would’ve for sure played with the cap if I didn’t happen to read that small part in the book.

I read it still don't think I could help myself :)
    Albert Einstein
    CBRob
  • CBRob
    Here is a video I just shot of the boiler making its noise.

I've drained and filled other tri tube boilers and never had this noise.
    https://youtu.be/T21P4wI28Q8
  • DZoro
    Sounds like entrapment of air in the H/E. Possibly try to work it out with changing pump speeds, and opening and closing supply and return valve s, to help push the air out. May take some time, may also have to refill/ bleed the boiler again.
    D
    CBRob
  • CBRob
    Thanks DZ.

I'll let you know how it goes