Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

275 Heating Oil Tank ...NYC Mechanical Code questions

Options
ww
ww Member Posts: 282
edited November 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
This pertains to the type of tank needed in NYC.
Looking at the NYC Mechanical Codes...the Fuel inlet line must be 2 inches and a tank installed under UL80 must have a vent of 2 inches as well...which include 12 gauge tanks. Both 10 and 12 gauge tanks are listed under UL80.

Getting different info from NFPA 31 including allowing 1 1/4 inch vent line due to a reversal of a 1997 decision due to it being determined that a 1 1/4 inch vent line is ok up to a 660 gallon tank. Too many retrofit problems prompted the rechecking of that initial decision.

Would also like to know when a 10 gauge tank is to be used and if a code on a rectangular tank is the same as a residential tank..is there a difference?

If you know anything about this please refer to the code number for my reference.

The bottom line that I need to know is this:
1. What gauge tanks can or have to be used and what size vent pipe?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,862
    Options
    NFPA is not a governing body, they make recommendations that the LJHA can adopt and or make stricter.
  • ww
    Options
    thanks...I see...but it specifically said it was changed from 2 to 1 1/4 and was looking for that if it was allowed...see below...this was from a faq from NFPA...maybe agreeing on one end doesn't mean it did.

8. There is confusion among oil tank installers regarding the size of the tank vent. Is
    the minimum nominal pipe diameter 1¼ in. diameter or 2 in.?
    Subsection 7.2.5 governs vents for fuel oil storage tanks installed inside a building.
    In the 1997 edition of NFPA 31, the nominal vent size for such tanks was increased
    from 1¼ in. to 2 in. This change was based on several incidents involving tank failure
    that appeared to be related to overpressure of the tank during filling at high flow
    rates. After publication of the 1997 edition, problems began to be encountered in
    the field, particularly with regard to tank replacements: building officials were
    mandating replacement of the 1¼ in. vent pipe of existing installations.
    Since that time, full‐scale testing has shown that the 1¼ in. vent is adequate for
    tank capacities up to 660 gallons, even with the vent whistle installed. The
    Technical Committee on Liquid Fuel Burning Equipment agreed to return to the 1¼
    in. minimum vent size based on these tests. This has considerably eased problems
    related to retrofits.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,862
    Options
    You can recite NFPA all you want...………..If NYC Code Requires 2" then its 2"!
  • ww
    Options
    Great insight...so they can do all the advising they want...but if the final say doesn't say it's ok then it's a no go! thanks
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Massachusetts used to require a minimum 2" fill and a 1 1/4 vent. This was changed many years ago so they now require a minimum 1 1/4 " fill witha a 1 1/4 vent. That is the minimum. You can also use a 1 1/2 fill and vent or a 2" fill and vent. Vent can be larger than fill but can no longer be a smaller vent than fill.

Don't know about NYC. MA follows NFPA now (since 2015) previous to that they had their own oil burner code that no longer exists.

If in doubt make a phone call to whichever authority inspects tanks in NYC. In MA it's the local fire dept, In Ct it's the local building inspector........

Every state is different
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,861
    edited November 2019
    Options
    No one addressed the 10 gauge tank question.
    My Recommendation is, stay away from 10 gauge, the 12 gauge is not that much more $$$

Can't use a 10 gauge outside above ground in most areas. Must use 12 gauge. You can use a 10 gauge if the tank is installed inside (basement tank for example) but I would not do it.

Theory is: the tank usually fails from the inside out in a basement. The unmaintained outside above ground tank is more likely to fail from rust from the outside and the inside.

If you are looking at installing a new tank, DON'T GO CHEEP ! look at the tank warranty, 3 years, 10 years, as much as 30 years for premium tanks like the double wall plastic / metal type, or premium double bottom with poly coating tanks.

Does anybody even offer 10 gauge tanks anymore?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ww
    Options
    The 10 gauge tanks I've found to be almost double the price of the 12 gauge tanks. The 10 gauge is thicker and weighs quite a bit more too. There are two ten gauge tanks made by Granby that I've seen on that website.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    @EdTheHeaterMan We’re you thinking 12 vs.14 gauge for an outside tank instead of 12 vs.10 gauge?
    Can’t say I’ve seen anything thinner than 12 gauge in a supply house in over 10 years.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

LouisFournier
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Yeah @STEVEusaPA is right the lower the # the heavier the gauge. Never seen a 10 gauge 275 I thnk 12 is standard, some old tanks were 14 I think
  • ww
    Options
    granby has a 10 gauge 275....in PA you can use the 12g I imagine...but i don't know codes there...I've done alot of reading in NYC mechanical code and see what the size needed here is...is there anyone here who has knowledge of the size tanks needed in NYC as well as vent regulations?...I've done research but am hearing conflicting reports on what is needed and required. I refuse to do anything or allow anyone to do work unless I'm 1000 percent sure on any requirement...just the way I am...been advised incorrectly more than once.