Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MegaPressG & oil tanks

STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
Does anyone know if MegapressG fittings are allowed to be used to install an oil tank? Their site mentions they are 'approved' for this, but didn't know if anyone had any experience with the AHJ's.

I know it's fine for gas pipe, as the plumber who did my generator used it (and passed inspection).

Just wondering, as I would really love to avoid the mess , the weight, and the labor/time, of threading & dragging around the pipe threader.
I understand the fittings are pricey, adding around $250 to the cost of a typical install. But easily made up on labor.

Black Friday is approaching (then cyber Monday) and if I find a nice deal I'll probably pull the trigger.

Thanks
Steve
steve

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Definitely looks good but I wouldn't want to be the guenna pig. Like FDA approvals. Wait five years to see real world effects.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    To my knowledge they are not approved (New England) and all of the oil companies I deal with will not accept them while doing a first fill inspection
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Approved by Viega…All the testing done. Not NFPA approved. I have asked just recently.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I guess if it's not NFPA approved its out. But who makes that call? In MA oil installations are approved by the local fire dept. Connecticut is the local building inspector. Every state is different
  • LouisFournier
    LouisFournier Member Posts: 5
    We have done a slow transition to megapress g for oil tanks.
    First, my personal oil tank, then to vents only.
    Now we screw all but one fitting (no threading) typically the last fitting before the inlet of the tank. Ultimately it will be the oil companies that see failure. I do consistently ask at the supply house and fellow contractors for feedback. I did also buy a Metabo belt sander to clean up the end of pipe but also to ensure proper insertion depth at time of compression. I'm sold on the product but like everything liability holds up the approval process. At this point in the economic cycle every labor saving product needs serious consideration.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Thanks everyone.
    I saw in one of my NFPA newsletters there was a discussion about it with Viega submitting all the data. But never saw a conclusion.
    It's probably not going to fly with NFPA, although it's used for nat gas. Their chart states a maximum temperature of 100°, 68° for Kero. Would probably have to be extensively tested for a few mixes of bio also.
    Or oil tank manufacturer's would probably have to approve it.
    Hey we can't get plastic oil storage tanks approved here like they have in Europe either.
    steve
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    Some day the world is going to figure out that the NFPA is a group run by civilians and not a government agency. They have no code enforcement authority, the only authority they have is given to them by local governments that are to lazy to write their own codes

That said, I am not so sure press and fuel oil are a good fit. Oil seems to have the ability to creep thru even tight joints.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    @STEVEusaPA
    This may be looking more attractive all the time?

When you consider the cost of the MegaPress jaws, the fittings, and the fact that have to cut the pipe and buff it clean, is there really any great savings vs. threading on smaller jobs?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • STEVEusaPA
    @Ironman Probably not.
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Megapress fittings are big $$$.

No doubt the #700 is a good machine but it's heavy. Pick that up and down a bunch of times and you will wish you brought the #300.

I have used the 700 also have a Collins threader, just like the 700 but a little lighter. I also Have a Rems Amigo. I have had it over 30 years and I bought it used. It's light and powerful but you have to use the rems dies.

I wonder how long before Ridgid comes out with a battery powered tool