Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Christmas Story damper

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
edited November 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi all,

Was this ever an actual thing?
@DanHolohan ?

I believe it says Draft for the top one and Damper for the bottom. And then of course open on one end and closed on the other.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    start looking for very old pulleys above boilers, even 2 holes drilled in the floor under the kitchen. those are where the chains were fed to the boiler dampers.
    really nice places had the chains ran by a time clock, wind up or even battery powered to act as a "set back" stat of sorts
    Intplm.mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,662
    Options
    you can find some of this stuff in the museum section, especially controls run with chains and levers.
  • CantabHeat
    CantabHeat Member Posts: 33
    Options
    There are a few pulleys like this located above the boiler. Always wondered what that was about but looked like you gave me a clue!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options
    As far as I know the pulleys we see around boilers are from automatic systems controlled by pressure.

https://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-a-christmas-story-house/

"2. The new damper was custom-made. The damper from this iconic scene has become a fan favorite, but it was never commercially made so the museum was unable to purchase one. With the help of local sculptor Robb Durr, they created this one-of-a-kind prop and introduced it this year. “It took 10 years for us to actually do it, and the process was taking screenshots and some prototypes,” says Intermill. “We kind of had to go through a whole process of developing it.”"

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    There were few boilers around here. However there were chain and pulley operated draft controls for wood/coal burning gravity hot air systems. Pulleys and holes in the floor remain.
    I did "capture" one of the wall controls, which is plate with 3 pegs at staggered heights on it for different settings to park the chain.
    Can't locate it right now though. (but I put it in a place that I could always find it) :|
    ratio
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    I have a collection of pulleys from dampers some were connected to a chain going to the kitchen and some to a pressure operated damper. Some of these are quite nice cast iron pulleys.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker