Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Ecobee 3 Lite Thermostat

I've just ordered an ecobee 3 lite thermostat for my one-pipe steam system.
The boiler is a few years old and is a Williamson--
https://www.williamson-thermoflo.com/products/williamson/gsa-gas-steam-atmospheric

At my thermostat location I only have 2 wires. No C-wire.

So, my options appear to be:

1) Power the thermostat with an external plug-in 24V transformer, which I can hook into the closet on the other side of the wall from the thermostat so there would be no visible wire. This seems rather easy and I've ordered the transformer already. From my understanding this is fine because I do not have cooling system.

2) Run a new set of wires to the boiler. I just wouldn't know where to hook them on the boiler. Here is picture of the transformer area and the wiring diagram for the boiler. Currently, the white thermostat wire hooks to Y on the transformer and the red wire hooks to G. C on the transformer seems to hook to the 24V ground on the burners, etc. Would I just hook the new wire to C? I think it would have to be soldered on or maybe could find somewhere to splice it.

Any benefits to doing the extra work for option 2 above or is the plug-in transformer option just as good?

Lastly, are there any settings I should concern myself with when using the ecobee for steam radiator heat?

See pictures....

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 11,899Member
    The plug-in option works just fine, and saves a lot of hassle.

I think the Ecobee series has settings for different heating systems. If it does, select steam or gravity hot water.
    Br. Jamie, osb

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • BenleeBenlee Posts: 15Member

The plug-in option works just fine, and saves a lot of hassle.

I think the Ecobee series has settings for different heating systems. If it does, select steam or gravity hot water.

Thanks! That's the answer I was hoping for!

Now I'm hoping the Ecobee 3 is decent for steam heating without having to tweak the settings too much dealing with differentials and set-backs.
  • Zipper13Zipper13 Posts: 124Member
    Let us know how it performs for you as I've thought about getting a more modern thermostat. I'm particularly interested in tracking runtime - any Idea if that gets reported?

My system's performance improved greatly once I swapped out old thermostat that was only ever intended for a hot air furnace for one that let me set it on one cycle per hour. keep an eye out for that option in the settings!
    New owner of a 1920s home with steam heat north of Boston.
    Just trying to learn what I can do myself and what I just shouldn't touch