Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Dope PLUS Teflon?

Options
2»

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,705
    Options
    > @EdTheHeaterMan said:
    > Fuel oil lines and teflon tape is a NO NO ! ! ! This is from the Suntec instruction sheet:
    > "GENERAL INFORMATION • ALL SYSTEMS
    > IMPORTANT INFORMATION Long or oversized inlet lines may require the pump to operate dry during initial bleeding period. In such cases, the priming may be assisted by injecting fuel oil into the pump gearset. Under lift conditions, oil lines and fittings must be air tight. To assure this, “pipe dope” may be applied to both the used and unused inlet and both return fittings. DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE!! DO NOT USE COMPRESSION FITTINGS!!"

Thats because they don't want tape getting in the system.

But we all know when used correctly this will not happen. Same for gas piping.

@KC_Jones
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    @ChrisJ This was meant for the original poster!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ChrisJ
  • BinDerSmokDat
    BinDerSmokDat Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Ed, thanks for sharing.

The way I read that, it applies to the inlet and return fittings at the oil pump only.

I don't need to change the fittings at my pump, and they appear to be doped, so no worries there.

My original question came from the tank instructions which say to use dope AND teflon on the 1/2" threads of the OSV valve where it screws into the tank.The OSV valve and it's teflon tape is upstream of the filter, so again, don't think that will be a problem.
    Weil-McLain Gold P-WTGO-4 DOM 07/09/96, rated 1.25 GPH
    Beckett AFG Burner DOM 05/23/96, F4 Head
    Delavan 1.0gph 80° B solid nozzle
    10 Micron Westwood spin-on
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    My grandfather taught me to fit pipe, cut pipe threads etc. When he learned, there were no "sealants", for most stuff they used a homemade mixture of graphite and oil.
    Quote from him:
    "Never put anything on the first 2 threads as they do the sealing"

In theory if there isn't anything on the first 2 threads, tape should never be a problem. In practice people suck so we put rules in place for all the ways people can do things wrong, hence the no tape on oil statement.

I only know what I was taught and it has served me well.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Intplm.SlamDunk
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Well, the Runtal towel bars with the Oventrop nipples has been sealed leak free with the plumber's secret thread sealing product JB WELD after many tries with other sealing products that failed.