Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stop-Leak Product for a Hydronic Radiator?

Harry_6
Harry_6 Member Posts: 141
Gents,

I have a gasket leak between sections of an ornate hot water radiator, and was wondering if anyone had experience with boiler leak products in this application. In a perfect world I'd try to split the sections apart, but I think it's too risky in this case. It's a hot water system, but to make matters more interesting it's a high efficiency boiler. I have no idea if those are not happy with boiler leak compound flowing through them. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    My thought on stop leak products -- although they have improved over the years -- is that they are a way to get the old flivver to the nearest gas station. And no more. But I could be wrong...

A leak on a hydronic system is problematic, since the pressures are fairly high (relatively speaking -- steam is much easier!) but you could also try one of the JB Weld products which are specifically intended for wet locations. The secret to them is to get the metal to which they need to adhere absolutely scrupulously clean -- bare metal, no rust (or at worst flash rust), no grease, no oil (not even fingerprints).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Harry_6
    Harry_6 Member Posts: 141
    I'm assuming that something on the inside would be desirable, since the pressure would be encouraging it to seal, but I have had luck with JB products in other applications - so that might be worth a try. Not very aesthetic, though. . .
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    You could try grinding the crack out and packing it with JB weld or another epoxy product. Getting to and cleaning the inside would be almost impossible. Since it is between the sections it is likely that you would have to get a good seal all around the overlap between the 2 sections around the nipple or you would just rotate the leak to a different part of the connection.