Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant floors and burning wood

Options
So...we sold the farm and moved into a one story house with radiant floors and a woodstove in the middle of the house. First some system info. The house is one story with a basement under 2/3’s. It was baseboard but that was removed when they changed to radiant. The part with no basement is a slab. The house has one thermostat. The woodstove is in the mid section of the house and is 40’ from the thermostat. I like to burn wood but the ends of the house are cool. In the basement the part of the old distribution system remains connected to the gas boiler. It’s a 1.25” loop of copper around the basement with three mixing valves/manifolds connected to the copper loop approximately near or under each third of the house.
A local contractor suggested adding three more circulators and three thermostats to control the circulators. I can heat the entire house now with wood but the ends of the house are 65ish and my spouse doesn’t like sitting and sewing at 65. Will the circulators make it more comfortable at the ends of the house? Is there a simpler solution?
Thanks in advance to all for thinking about this situation
Steve

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    You could manually close the loops in the center of the house?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    I'd use 3 zone valves and 1 smart pump. Put the thermostats in the cool areas.
    Zman
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Burning wood & sewing...life is good.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Zman