Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

infrequent banging sounds in baseboard radiator

Options
banamber13
banamber13 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2019 in Radiant Heating
i just moved into a new apartment and when i turn on the heat, the baseboard radiator in the bedroom makes a loud pop/bang noise every few minutes. it’s not consistent banging but it’s enough to scare the hell out of me just as i’m trying to fall asleep and it doesn’t stop. right now i’ve been hearing it for over an hour and the heat isn’t even set that high. i’m not sure if this is normal or if there’s an issue. can someone help? i don’t want to call my landlord if it’s a normal issue. sorry if this isn’t the right topic thread! i’m not familiar.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Is this steam or hot water? In either case, the most likely cause is expansion in the baseboard unit as it heats up. These things need to be anchored at one end, but supported -- sometimes in several places -- along their length on supports which are free to slide. And often aren't. Try finding where the unit is supported and slipping some slippery plastic -- pieces cut from a plastic milk jug work well -- between the unit and the support at those locations.

Some units also have sheet metal covers which change size and shape as they expand and can produce quite significant bangs. It may be harder to figure out how to support and anchor them so they don't -- or do it less -- but the same principle applies: one fixed support, and any other supports free to slide.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England