Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

What's wrong with this picture?

HeatingHelpHeatingHelp Posts: 285
edited November 7 in THE MAIN WALL

What's wrong with this picture?

See the remote thermostat sitting on top of the hot radiator? The folks in that office wondered why they couldn't seem to get comfortable.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LarryKLarryK Member Posts: 45
    Can you talk about TRVs and one pipe steam? I have a bedroom room that bakes in the sun and freezes at night with a massive radiator in front of a bay window. When the boiler comes on in the morning the temp overshoots and we have to kick off the covers. I got a TRV for the air vent and it didn't seem to have much effect, so I got a remote sensor for it and mounted it to the wall by the air valve. Exterior wall by the window. No effect. Finally I moved the sensor to the end of the radiator by the steam pipe where it heats up first. Now it works pretty well and the covers stay on all night until we get up.
  • Rich_LRich_L Member Posts: 68
    You paint amazing pictures with your words, Dan! THANK YOU for sharing so much of your valuable knowledge and experience, even with 20 years in the trade, I'm still learning! (And I had to look up "verbosity" LOL)
  • nicholas bonham-carternicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 7,938
    It sounds like your system is using a nighttime setback, which will not save on gas consumption, but merely cause temperature overshoot, which your TRV has been able to cope with.
    Start a new thread for any future problems.
    If this is an apartment building, check with management for:
    1. The method of control-ie. thermostat, Heatimer control, etc.
    2. The system pressure-lower is better, (under 1 psi). I heat 55 rads with a couple of ounces.—NBC
  • EricShelsyEricShelsy Member Posts: 1
    Yeah Dan very helpful. With ADD and Dyslexia I will read this at least two more times. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Great stuff.
  • DanHolohanDanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 14,793
    Thanks, guys.
    Retired and loving it.