Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead big mouth?

Options
Lard
Lard Member Posts: 115
I installed three big mouth vents a month ago, and one has apparently died already after only a handful of cycles. The O-ring is in the groove and clean. It seems like the thermostatic disc has lost its alcohol fill since there is little to no movement when live steam hits it. The other two on the same manifold close right up.
I verified that the valve disc (the brass washer) was free by poking at it, and it was moving easily on its ball/socket joint (all while it was blowing steam wide-open). Nothing seems stuck.
I tossed the whole thing in boiling water and also saw no movement.

Has anyone else had such an issue? Am I overlooking something?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Contact Barnes& Jones. I know they had some, I think last year where they had a problem with leaking disc. They are good about sending a replacement unit.
  • Lard
    Lard Member Posts: 115
    Options
    I had already planned to contact them today, I just wondered if anyone else had this issue. Thanks!
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    I had one fail, flushed it out and it worked for a few years and failed again. It is a pre O ring. I reached out to them and they offered to make it right. It's a great vent and it is nice to see a company that stands behind its product.

Can't say enough about the benefits of using these vents on our systems, who wants an antler of 9 G2's and the cost. I had 3 G2's fail that's why I switched over. The Big Mouths are much better quality as long as you don't have wet steam or water issues.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    Went to Barnes and Jones today and picked up my replacement disk, met with John Patriarca, very nice guy. It is nice to see a company like this that still makes it's products in the USA and stands behind them. I was very impressed.
    ethicalpaul