Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing stovepipe from chimney

Options
Gardeningal2013
Gardeningal2013 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Good morning, and thanks in advance for any advice!

My daughter just purchased an 1893 Victorian, in pretty decent condition. There was a wood stove right in the kitchen, which had the stovepipe vented into the existing exposed brick chimney, which services the furnace (at least that's what I assume, as there's no other chimney...)

Yesterday, they removed the stove for safety reasons (little children!) and aesthetic reasons (it just overwhelmed the room) and now there is a hole in the chimney of course. Can we just put a plate over the hole, and seal the circumference with caulk? Or does it need to be filled in with brick?

I read somewhere that carbon monoxide could be a problem, and we want to make sure we're taking all the necessary precautions.

And of course, we're hoping that the house is not freezing cold in the winter, or she's really going to miss that wood stove!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    You should be able to purchase a round galvanized metal plug. Preferably one with a crimped end. Clean the hole of dust and debris. Smack it in. Seal the circumference with high temp silicone. Have one of the little 'uns paint a happy face on the plug.
    Oh yeah, turn off the boiler or furnace first.
    Gardeningal2013
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    You can just put a plate over it, but I wouldn't recommend it (it was common to do that back in the day...). Filling with brick and mortar is better.

However...

If the flue really does also serves the furnace, it should be lined in accordance with whatever fuel the furnace uses, and that is a job for a competent chimney sweep.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    STEVEusaPAGardeningal2013