Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler temp vs high temp setting

Options
JohnKV
JohnKV Member Posts: 12
I noticed my brand new Honeywell L8148A 1017 can be set for 190 degrees but boiler only reaches maybe 175. It was suggested the well wasn’t packed with grease (which is true) and may be causing the difference. My research suggests this grease will harden eventually so I’d rather avoid it. Question is, would it be safe to crank the high limit to say, 210 to make the boiler reach 190?

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Why so hot?
    95% of the time 175* is more than enough water temp. for many designed systems. Are you having a issue with the system not reaching a constant set point.
    Are you sure that the boiler thermometer is accurate?
    D
  • JohnKV
    Options
    Heats wonderfully. I I don’t believe the aquastat is accurate. My mercury thermometer on my upper boiler piping matches my tridicator on my boiler. Just falling 20 degrees short of my aquastat high temp setting when she shuts down
  • JohnKV
    Options
    I’m assuming a longer burn cycle would be more efficient, if there’s still a call for heat, shouldn’t it hit the high temp limit then shutdown?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Does the boiler shut down at 175? Or is it that it just sits there running and doesn't go any higher? If it's the latter, are you sure that that simply isn't where it will go when the heat input at the boiler is equal to the heat output at the radiation?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JohnKV
    Options
    Boiler shuts off at 175 like it hit its high limit, still a call for heat.
  • DZoro
    Options
    Sounds like it heats great. With that being said, don't go any hotter. The hotter water temp the less efficient your boiler becomes. In this case to be more efficient, lower the temperature the better.
    May want to put in the grease and see if there is a difference. But I really wouldn't bother.
    D
    JohnKV
  • JohnKV
    Options
    It’s in the 30’s and 20’s here in Wisconsin at night lately, but it heats very well and barely runs it seems. If I set the high limit to 160, it runs for a few minutes every 10 or 15 minutes. I believe that’s called short cycling?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    could be the temperature gauge is not accurate?
    Without an accurate temperature reading at the control location it is hard to determine which is off
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    DZoro
  • DZoro
    Options
    Turning it up will make it worse. What size is the boiler and how large of a home do you have?
    During this transitional season most standard boilers will be short cycling. When your design low temperature approaches anywhere from 0* to-16* will be where your boiler should run non stop, and maintain a constant set point. If it was sized perfectly, and nothing is perfect in this world ;)
    D
    JohnKV
  • JohnKV
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I think it’s about 79,000 BTU, house is 1,655 square feet. 6 cast iron rads downstairs and one for the entire upstairs which is an almost 800 square foot master bedroom. It heats that whole upstairs surprisingly well with one rad. So far anyway, it’s not super cold yet either.