Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riser issue with hot water radiator

Options
Hello everyone,

So I've been trying to diagnose or at the very least understand what's been going on with my old hot water heating system. Cutting directly to the chase, every radiator in the home works except one, which is located on the top floor. I've noticed that the two risers that provide heat to that top floor radiator only seem to heat up about halfway up the pipe. Is it possible that the risers could be clogged or have corrosion? If anyone needs any further information in order to diagnose the issue, I'll do my best to provide whatever I can. Thank you to any and everyone in advance who might shed some light on this issue.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    What’s the cold pressure on the boiler gauge?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Have tried bleeding air from the radiator?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • SCullen718
    SCullen718 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Ironman,

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately I won't be able to provide a pressure reading until tomorrow. I have tried bleeding the radiator, but it didn't seem solve the problem. The radiator in line with and on the floor below works great. The risers going from the second to the third floor however, just won't fill completely with heat.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    You should be bleeding the rad while the heat is on and it seems like you are. If you raise the boiler pressure to 25 psi and if there is one, turn the Lo limit down all the way so the circulator continues to run. Keeping the pressure at 25 usually helps. Sometimes those long ones take a while.