Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Concrete Stain/Acid Stain Safe for hydronic floor heating?

Options
kmsses
kmsses Member Posts: 1
We are building a house and installed a hydronic floor heating system under the basement slab. We are building a reverse ranch style of home with the kids' bedrooms in the basement. My intent was to acid stain and seal the basement floor to 1) save on flooring costs and 2) optimize the floor heating system by not adding additional flooring material over the concrete slab. I have concerns with toxicity of the staining and sealing products being heated and breathed in by the kids with their bedrooms on the basement level. Does anyone have any insight on this? If it is not suggested to stain and seal the concrete, what flooring material would be safe?
Thanks! (maybe too much of an overly cautious Mom here) :)

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    It should be possible to obtain full application instructions and what is called a MSDS sheet on whatever product you plan to use. That will have the straight information.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    We painted our heated basement floors.
    Concrete has to be acid washed or etched first. Rubber glove and fresh air work.
    Was easy to do with the heat on for rinsing with fresh water after etching. Shop vac water up as washing.
    Concrete floor paint...some faux patters etc. And then sealed with clear poly.
    After poly sealed there were no fumes.
    Lasted for over 20 years with 2 teenage boys down there.
    Biggest damage was furniture legs that lost the protectors.

If doing it today I would check into garage floor paint....tougher finish.
  • newinnj
    newinnj Member Posts: 36
    Options
    We did our sub basement floors with a metallic epoxy. It turned out great looking because the person who did the floor had an artistic touch. I don't recommend it since it is hard to maintain for micro scratching and there areas of residual mix material. The off gassing was pretty intense and the area could not be used for weeks. No issues with the radiant heating. We kept the heat off to that zone since the product company said installing was better without it being too warm. Onix tubing into slab basement floor. I have heard of acid etching being ok with radiant flooring with no issues.