Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Washing soda

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
Last time I skimmed a steam boiler the supply house told me to just use washing soda.
Is there anything wrong with doing this?
Also follow up question the fill for the steam boiler should it always be hot (from the water heater or is the cold water just as good, does it make a difference?

Comments

• Peerless says to use washing soda in their installation instructions. Nothing wrong at all.

A cold fill is all I've ever seen.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Thanks Alan, I seen a few boilers with hot water coming into the unit
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    I don't suppose hot water would hurt anything, but... why bother? As soon as she lights off the water will be hot enough...

Some might argue that it would be better for topping off while steaming that hot water would be less of a shock, which is true -- but if the feed is through the wet return, and if it's only a gallon or so, it's not going to make much difference. So again... why bother?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I was told a box of Arm & Hammer powder soap does it every time. No first hand knowledge though.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    HVACNUT said:

I was told a box of Arm & Hammer powder soap does it every time. No first hand knowledge though.

Soap? Washing soda, perhaps, but not soap! Think of the bubbles! (Anyone else remember Lawrence Welk?)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Yes, Soda. Sorry. Isle 7, left side low. Yellow box. Can't miss it.