Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Washing soda

SnowmeltSnowmelt Posts: 1,104Member
Last time I skimmed a steam boiler the supply house told me to just use washing soda.
Is there anything wrong with doing this?
Also follow up question the fill for the steam boiler should it always be hot (from the water heater or is the cold water just as good, does it make a difference?

Comments

• Peerless says to use washing soda in their installation instructions. Nothing wrong at all.

A cold fill is all I've ever seen.
    Often wrong, never in doubt.

Click here to learn more about this contractor.
  • SnowmeltSnowmelt Posts: 1,104Member
    Thanks Alan, I seen a few boilers with hot water coming into the unit
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 11,204Member
    I don't suppose hot water would hurt anything, but... why bother? As soon as she lights off the water will be hot enough...

Some might argue that it would be better for topping off while steaming that hot water would be less of a shock, which is true -- but if the feed is through the wet return, and if it's only a gallon or so, it's not going to make much difference. So again... why bother?
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Posts: 2,559Member
    I was told a box of Arm & Hammer powder soap does it every time. No first hand knowledge though.
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 11,204Member
    HVACNUT said:

I was told a box of Arm & Hammer powder soap does it every time. No first hand knowledge though.

Soap? Washing soda, perhaps, but not soap! Think of the bubbles! (Anyone else remember Lawrence Welk?)
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Posts: 2,559Member
    Yes, Soda. Sorry. Isle 7, left side low. Yellow box. Can't miss it.